• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

How to deal with email attachments which get embeded and no attachment

gabagoo

I have no idea how it happens but I seem to be seeing it more and more and have a suspicion that it mainly comes from customers who are forwarding emails using their phones. There is no attachment but the file is visible at the bottom of the page and I have no way of getting it out.

WildWestDesigns

Even forwarded emails, if it's an attachment, it's an attachment. It doesn't make it embedded by the mere fact its then forwarded, unless there is some user interaction.

More then likely its users not knowing or caring that make it embedded. In some rare instances, they use a phone app that only embeds and they try to send it as an attachment (and I did confirm that just to make sure they weren't blowing smoke).

While I have zero problems retrieving an embedded file, that's easy enough, it's more about compression of that file after having been embedded.

2B

We notice images/files/ etc get embedded more often with Apple products (phone, laptop, and Desktop, etc)
IMO it is a default setting to save bandwidth for sending, once it is imbedded you have to R click and save and the quality is ALWAYS reduced when imbedded.

which results in having to ask them to resend or we have to provide an FTP link they can send it to.

Last edited:

Jay Grooms

Printing, Printing, Printing......
I second the Apple Products embedding attachments..... it might just be user error of the person using said product, but it's a PITA.

mattc5900

I have seen on both sides Android and Apple.. It has to be user.. I had a client with android sitting at my desk send me something and it was embedded... I wanted to say how do you even do that.. I just copied it out and used it that way.. It is a PITA

gabagoo

I think it is an apple issue as sometimes they can come from the same person as a regular attachment and other times embedded. I use outlook and have not figured out how to get them out.

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
I have no idea how it happens but I seem to be seeing it more and more and have a suspicion that it mainly comes from customers who are forwarding emails using their phones. There is no attachment but the file is visible at the bottom of the page and I have no way of getting it out.
So annoying! I have a workaround to get the files. This is only helpful if the file is really usable - if they are embedding tiny web images, extracting the files won't help anyway. What I do, is save the email as html to their client folder on our network. THis will create a folder for the images within the email. viola.

shoresigns

Can you not right-click on the embedded image and save it? That's a pretty universal option no matter what email client you use.

Billct2

"Please resend as an attachment, and while you're at it make sure its really the high res version I need or the vector pdf , not a web shot exported as a pdf. Thank you"

WildWestDesigns

Can you not right-click on the embedded image and save it? That's a pretty universal option no matter what email client you use.

This is what I do most of the time. Sometimes I'll left click and hold and drag the image into say Writer or some other program. Just how adventurous I'm feeling.

Either has worked every time in Thunderbird.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
"Please resend as an attachment, and while you're at it make sure its really the high res version I need or the vector pdf , not a web shot exported as a pdf. Thank you"
You think someone using a Mac will understand any of this?

chromira

My boss creates the same problem for me. It happens when he wants to respond to the client and forward me the graphics. I see the name of the file but not the file since it doesn't travel with the response.

shoresigns

My boss creates the same problem for me. It happens when he wants to respond to the client and forward me the graphics. I see the name of the file but not the file since it doesn't travel with the response.
This is a problem that's inherent to how email works, with a stupidly solution, which is to educate people that attachments are included when you FORWARD, but not when you REPLY.

Andy D

I'm a bit confused, when you say the "files are embedded" do you mean when they copy and paste images in the body of the email?
If so, all you have to do is left click the image to select it and then right click to save as or copy.
If not, I guess I have yet to get an email like that.