• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

How to design a sign with Japanese writing on it?

Hello all,

Short version, I have been approached by a local municipality to create a sign for a local industrial park for an upcoming visit by some Japanese investors. They would like the sign to have some writing in Japanese. I know this can be done, however I am at a loss of how to accomplish this. I wasn't sure if this could be accomplished by some type of font, or if I would need to do some sort of image conversion or maybe something else I haven't even considered yet. Any suggestions or knowledge on the topic is greatly appreciated. I attempted to just copy and paste from an online translator, however Flexi did not recognize the Japanese characters. I use HP Flexi Sign & Print v.12, with the accompanying Rip Production Manager. My printer is a HP Latex 360. I am self taught with 2 years of experience. If it matters I am in Alabama, USA. Thank you for your time.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
However it's done... someone who speaks, reads and writes the language may need to proof-read it! Google isn't a be-all-end-all when translating. You could do a screen capture and vectorize the characters.

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
Never trust an online translator...

Unless you are fluent in Japanese, it's ridiculous to think a sign shop could or would supply copy for this type of sign.

They need to supply the copy in a format you can use or at least be able to vectorize.

Many years ago I worked on projects in Japan, Taiwan and China where the client supplied copy but in order for our computers to use a font in those languages, we had to convert the computer to the native language we needed for the projects... it was messy, by the time we got to the last job, we had their designers convert it all to outlines and sent us those files already layed out.

shoresigns

You just need to use a font that supports Japanese characters. Then you should be able to copy and paste the text from whatever source you want, i.e. Google Translate.

Obviously someone who speaks Japanese would need to proofread it, I think that's a given.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
It can easily be done. We've done it for various languages over the years. Every time, the foreign written copy was created in a vector format for us and we just treated it like a logo or any other outlined image.

One time, we received a complaint form the American based company of one of these jobs, complaining that we spelled some of the Chinese characters wrong. Seems there is a discrepancy, between the language of how is is dealt with here, in the United States and over on the mainland.

The language which seems to have the most controversies is Spanish, as most of the Spanish speaking countries have their own ways of spelling and conjugating verbs and whatnot. We did a sign which was done up for us by a Puerto Rican Spanish/English teacher. Did the sign and all the Spanish people were telling them certain things were spelled wrong or not this or that. Opinions were all over the place.

JTBoh

I sell signage and signage accessories.
Kanji pictograms are notorious for bad translations.

If possible, get an actual japanese person (a real live one!) to actually write it out, scan, and vectorize imo.

You just need to use a font that supports Japanese characters. Then you should be able to copy and paste the text from whatever source you want, i.e. Google Translate.

Obviously someone who speaks Japanese would need to proofread it, I think that's a given.
I have already tried a copy/paste method to no avail, the software does not recognize the Japanese characters.

Thank you everyone for the advice, all options are being considered. Further negotiations are going to be required with the client in regards to providing art.

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
You need a Katakana font as well as an accurate translation. Just Google 'katakana font', there's lots of them.

Terry01

Just get the company to supply the document, scan it and just place it where they request it in the layout.
Its not your job to understand another language..Just print what they supply.

Just get the company to supply the document, scan it and just place it where they request it in the layout.
Its not your job to understand another language..Just print what they supply.
Yes, we are in negotiations now with them to get the art designed and supplied. It is a local city Mayor who is requesting the job, the issue is we are one of the only few graphic companies in our area.

Billct2

Yep, I'm with the "they supply it as an artwork" file faction. Even small discrepancies can make a big difference. Back when I did it all by hand a Chinese restaurant had me lettering their doors. The manager wrote on a napkin the symbols he wanted and I used that as my reference. In turning pen lines into paint strokes I got a detail wrong. His kitchen crew came out to see my handiwork and cracked up...not sure what it said but they found it humorous.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
Go to your local sushi place and see if they can help you. On second thought, I'm not sure if my sushi chef is Asian, might be Mexican pretending.