• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

How to determine the age of vinyl

showcase 66

Last week I ordered a roll of black 651. Box came in and it had a roll of white inside. Box said black but the vinyl was white. Call the supplier up and sent them some pix. They sent me another roll at a discount since I said I would keep the white as I will need it soon but really needed more black.

Yesterday, we cut a bunch of smaller decals for a car lot in black and in white. Today trying to weed the white is a pain in the arse. Black weeds out fine but the white wont cut through any straight lines. Like it will skip or something. Is it because it is old vinyl possibly?

Box has a date of Oct 4 stamped on it but again the box also said it was black 651.

Does anyone know if there is a way to check out a lot number for them?

I thought someone had said in the past that they always check lot numbers for something but not sure what it was exactly.

Thanks in advance.

tsgstl

oddly enough we have had problems with white from the same type as another color. The only thing I notice on older rolls of material is yellowing of the release liner edges. I have never noticed a difference in cutting.

SAR.Summerlin

I know this doesn't answer your question. When we get a new roll I always right a label on masking tape stating when it was purchased month and year and place it on the inside edge of the roll that way I know how long it has been on my shelf. I also make a not of any special settings (force) I need for my plotter.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
First you should cut a small section and lay it perfectly flat on a glass or metal table.

Shoot it full of neutrons until s slight glow of orange appears around the edges. At this point an infrared spectroscopy can be used to test for content followed up with a liquid chromatography and x-ray spectroscopy for age spots. After determining these numbers, a differential scanning calorimetry is needed to eliminate any contamination particles encountered during rising in the pan. Since this is not cast, you'll need to thermogravmimetric analysis machine in order to reveal the tensile and elongation, flexural, compression, and hardness testing features of the unknown vinyl.

Once the material characterizations have been figured out, only then can you put a number to it. I'd say no less then 2 months and no older than 8 years. Hope this helps.

:rock-n-roll:

gabagoo

lately I have found that Avery A6 and some general Formulations 3 ml vinyl seem to be krinkly when weeding, not soft like they should be. Weeding can at times be a nightmare... I hear that Avery has a Chinese vinyl division, so I wonder if the stuff is not being made to spec.

but then again it could be my blade, I really hate changing blades

showcase 66

New blade and blade holder in this machine. All other colors are cutting just fine. Just not the White. It also seems really brittle too and rips really easy.

I just realized it has the older backing paper on the vinyl as well.

Calling the supplier to see what they can tell me. Hopefully they will exchange it

SIGNTIME

older vinyl is stiffer tears easier and when it farts it looks around to see who called its name out loud

showcase 66

You know all the smart arse comments have actually lightened my mood.

Smart A$$es and all, you guys rock. :U Rock: