• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

How to do this?

54warrior

I have a local that wants to replace these stripes on both sides of this truck due to fading. The the truck is painted bllack and also the lower portion is also painted gray. The gray is painted up to the edge of the silver stripe.

What would be the best approach for this? I've never done anything of this size, and have already had two other local fellas tell me to pass on the job.

Attachments

• 100889481_705213710304072_5870132429955530752_n.jpg
    100889481_705213710304072_5870132429955530752_n.jpg
    259.6 KB · Views: 226

jfiscus

Rap Master
Removal is going to be its own project.Then, re-creation of something similar is going to be its own project.

Making stripes similar and applying them shouldn't really be hard.
Use a straight on photo and good measurements and it should go smoothly.
Hints: make them at least 1" larger than the last set of graphics and use cast vinyl and laminate.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
Removal looks like it is going to be tuff without damaging the paint. Try some heat on the pointed end of the stripe and see if it will come up in pieces larger than fingernail clippings. A steamer or some vinyl-off might help if the heat won't do the trick. May end up costing more for the removal than the new stripes. Talk to the owner and see how flexible they will be on cost and time. If things sound tight - join the other 2 guys and pass.

54warrior

Owner said he'd take care of the removal, and that definitely seems like the most difficult part of the job.

Thanks for the tips.

Stacey K

I like making signs
If he takes care of the removal then the project should be easy enough. Do exactly what jfiscus said. The owner may end up calling you about the removal because it's likely going to be a pain. I had a trailer that had similar looking vinyl that I removed. 75% came off with heat, the other 25% needed to be removed with a wax wheel on the drill. There was nothing fun about that at all LOL You will do fine with the vinyl :)

OhioSigns

Make sure when he says he's taking care of removal it's down to the paint and just ready for a wipe down. More than once I've had customers say they are taking care of removal but then bring it in and all of the old adhesive is still left.

eahicks

Magna Cum Laude - School of Hard Knocks
Done a few of these in the past....my experience is, the vinyl used for those is CRAAAAAP. Will come off in little pieces. Bill accordingly.