• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help how to ensure correct placement of fire chevron

aquarium fan

So i've got a new ambulance in the shop and we need to cover the back in the high intensity reflective stripes. ive done a few before but not this large of a scale and never anything im happy with. My question is how do most of you go about deciding where the start, how to you keep it lined up around window and hinges and any other secrets you may have. I have already removed everything i could.

rjssigns

Someone here posted a site that prints the chevrons to fit specific vehicles. No more individual stripes.

jfiscus

Rap Master
Fellers sells 30" wide pre-printed Reflexite Chevron Striping, so no more need for individual stripes unless you HAVE TO.
Anyways.... NFPA regulations state 6" striping installed at 45 degree angle, aternating colors, diamond grade level intensity. (3M, Oracal/Reflexite, Avery all have materials that meet this)
FWIW, Reflexite works with knifeless tape.

In essence you are creating two right triangles. So, take your total top width, for example 76" wide, and find the center of that; in this example it would be 38". Mark that top center on the truck.
In a right triangle the two shorter legs are equidistant. (I believe that is a word) So, from your top corners measure down the same amount, in this example 38" and put a mark there.
Now run your first piece connecting those two marks diagonally. Work both ways on both sides.

CreatedDesigns

REFLECTIVE REQUIREMENTS FOR THE BACK OF THE VEHICLE

15.9.3.2 At least 50 percent of the rear-facing vertical surfaces, visible from the rear of the apparatus, excluding any pump panel areas not covered by a door, shall be equipped with retroreflective striping in a chevron pattern sloping downward and away from the centerline of the vehicle at an angle of 45 degrees.

15.9.3.2.1 Each stripe in the chevron shall be a single color alternating between red and yellow.

15.9.3.2.2 Each stripe shall be 6 in. (150 mm) in width.

15.9.3.3 All retroreflective materials required by 15.9.3.1 and 15.9.3.2 shall conform to the requirements of ASTM D 4956, Standard Specification for Retroreflective Sheeting for Traffic Control, Section 6.1.1 for Type I Sheeting.

15.9.3.3.1 All retroreflective materials used to satisfy the requirements of 15.9.3.1 that are colors not listed in ASTM D 4956, Section 6.1.1, shall have a minimum coefficient of retroreflection of 10 with observation angle of 0.2 degrees and entrance angle of −4 degrees.

15.9.3.3.3 Any printed or processed retroreflective film construction used to meet the requirements of 15.9.3.1 and 15.9.3.2 shall conform to the standards required of an integral colored film as specified in ASTM D 4956, Section 6.1.1.

CreatedDesigns

You do not have to use Diamond Grade or HIP, But it is a lot better product to use.
The last Fire Truck I did I just used 3M 780 series.