• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help How to figure costs for a Laser Cutter

So, we recently bought another company, and are receiving an Epilog Legend 36EXT in the deal.
Other than the material costs, how do I figure my costs of operating the machine, minus the payroll?
I am about to reach out to the manufacturer, but figured I would try here too.

rossmosh

There are a ton of methods. I'm of the opinion you price based on the job.

The standard/suggested pricing is $2/min for the time on the laser + 2-3x materials. I can tell you that $2/min on some jobs will be way too high and some jobs way too low.

There are a ton of methods. I'm of the opinion you price based on the job.

The standard/suggested pricing is $2/min for the time on the laser + 2-3x materials. I can tell you that $2/min on some jobs will be way too high and some jobs way too low.
Thank You for your reply. We plan on getting the machine here next week, we are all new to the laser stuff.

Sindex Printing

I bought a laser cutter less than a year ago and the pricing that I have been successful with has been going by square inch for engraving and cutting. Doing it that way has helped me to quote the jobs out until I can get a better feel on how long the jobs will take to complete. It usually comes out to $.75 a minute wholesale and $1.50 a minute for retail. I went with this to try to build a good customer basis.
I do minimum of double the material cost and have a minimum charge on a setup of $25.00. I have waived the setup charge on bigger jobs.
Hope this helps out.

I bought a laser cutter less than a year ago and the pricing that I have been successful with has been going by square inch for engraving and cutting. Doing it that way has helped me to quote the jobs out until I can get a better feel on how long the jobs will take to complete. It usually comes out to $.75 a minute wholesale and $1.50 a minute for retail. I went with this to try to build a good customer basis.
I do minimum of double the material cost and have a minimum charge on a setup of $25.00. I have waived the setup charge on bigger jobs.
Hope this helps out.
Thank You

jwilde

Not sure the nature of work you are absorbing or going after, but you may consider a minimum order as well. Depending on job types we have $100 minimum orders for certain equipment.