• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

How to find service for a Mimaki in Charlotte, NC

EmTOne

Hi all, we have a Mimaki JV400-160LX that we bought used and we have been unable to find anyone in the Charlotte area who is either willing or able to service this machine.

We have tried the main suppliers in our area that we know of, but that hasn't yielded any actual help.

If anyone knows of someone in our area or some other avenue we should be pursuing, we are open to suggestions. Also, if there is a particular area on this forum we should post for help, please let us know.

Thanks!

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
I'd suggest contacting Mimaki directly and let them know you are having a hard time getting service...

http://www.mimakiusa.com/mydealer/

They will make a call to a dealer and basically tell them to support them machine or risk not being a dealer anymore.

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
I'd suggest contacting Mimaki directly and let them know you are having a hard time getting service...

They will make a call to a dealer and basically tell them to support them machine or risk not being a dealer anymore.

Mimaki does not make dealers support machines they didn't sell. They may encourage a dealer to work with a customer but the JV400 series has almost no trained techs in America so even if there is a dealer near you, I bet they have never even seen this machine in person. It's a failed machine.

EmTOne

Unfortunately our nearest dealer is in Atlanta and when we contacted him, he basically said he was too busy to make it up to us.

We actually never heard back from Mimaki after we informed them that our "local" dealer couldn't help us either. :(

Sightline, I think we even called you guys and asked if you might be able to help. I believe your owner is also your tech and was also way too busy.

VanderJ, do you guys work with these machines at all? I wish we had known they were a failed machine before we bought it, damn! :banghead:

jfiscus

Rap Master
I know a great local independent Mimaki tech. Not sure if he travels as far south as you are, but he MIGHT. I will PM you.

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
Mimaki does not make dealers support machines they didn't sell. They may encourage a dealer to work with a customer but the JV400 series has almost no trained techs in America so even if there is a dealer near you, I bet they have never even seen this machine in person. It's a failed machine.

It didn't fail because it was a bad machine necessarily. Whoever priced it was taking crazy pills. When you could get a latex machine from HP for $10k - $15k and Mimaki came out with the JV400 for around $40k, no one really wanted to spend that much money to see if it was any better than the HP. It was more of a marketing fail than a technical one.

EmTOne

It didn't fail because it was a bad machine necessarily. Whoever priced it was taking crazy pills. When you could get a latex machine from HP for $10k - $15k and Mimaki came out with the JV400 for around $40k, no one really wanted to spend that much money to see if it was any better than the HP. It was more of a marketing fail than a technical one.

If we had only known about a year ago! Now we just got to get it working to maybe sell it and be free of this thing!

EmTOne

Well we have officially heard back from Mimaki and they will send out their service people. They quoted us roughly $18,000 for the trip, labor and replacing the print heads, which is their "guess" at what is wrong with it.

I know a great local independent Mimaki tech. Not sure if he travels as far south as you are, but he MIGHT. I will PM you.

We left your guy a voicemail last week. Unfortunately we haven't heard back yet. Perhaps it is too far to travel for him, especially if he is very busy already.

Seeing how much they want to charge us for a possible solution, it is looking like the HP's would have been a much better way to go. We may be stuck with a broken Mimaki at this point.

I wonder if we can sell it to some other poor sap with this machine and they can use it for spare parts...

EmTOne

Any suggestions for the best place to list this printer for sale, either the correct place on this forum or elsewhere?
Probably only be able to sell it for parts at this point though.

Thanks!

31legen

Tech

Advantage has/had a Mimaki tech that lives in the charlotte area. I think i remember his name is mathew leadbetter. It may be worth a shot to try and get ahold of him. Im certain he could help out.

EmTOne

Advantage has/had a Mimaki tech that lives in the charlotte area. I think i remember his name is mathew leadbetter. It may be worth a shot to try and get ahold of him. Im certain he could help out.

Do you have contact information for him?

The only techs familiar enough to work on that turd are still suffering from PTSD after the FCOs and the fiasco that followed. Leading to the machine being sold and rebranded by Ricoh. your best bet is to throw it on ebay or wait for scrap metal prices to fluctuate in your favor lol