• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

How to fine tune head carriage height on an XC-540

Hi, my head carriadge of the XC-540 on the Low position is scratching on the bottom in a metal from the wipers system. Far from the heads but anyhow still scratching and making it to slow.

Besides changing it to the high position that it stops the scratching how can I raize it a little bit just that I can use the Low position?

Thanks

Jim Hancock

Old School Technician
I presume the head carriage is hitting the front metal cover of the wiper station? If so, you can loosen the screws and move it forward and that should take care of your problem.

Ok, I will test that thanks. It seemed it was in a fixed position so I didn't try that. Just tryed to raise the head carriadge but it doesn't seem to be possile. I will get back after trying your sugestion

Jim Hancock

Old School Technician
It is a silver cover on the front of the capping station. There is a screw on the right side. Loosen it and you can move it forward all the way and it should clear. Make sure all the slots on this cover are seated in the guide tabs. If this isn't clear, post a pic of the front of the wiper station and I'll mark it up.

I already push it all the way to the front, but still the same.
Wipers mechanism 3.jpg
Wipers mechanism 1.jpg
Wipers mechanism 2.jpg

Jim Hancock

Old School Technician
It looks like it is sitting high on the right side. Make sure the cover is in the 4 locator slots and pulled forward and lock it in place. The pic shows the location of 2, there are 2 on the opposite side.

Attachments

• Wiper cover adjustment.jpg
    Wiper cover adjustment.jpg
    157.6 KB · Views: 280
Hi, yes, I took it off to clean it and took care of puting everything in the right place. It seems high because of the picture angle but it's not, I've checked it again after your message. Do you know what this screws serve to in the head carriadge? There's two on each side, and it seems to raize up a little bit, but not enough.

Attachments

• Head Carriadge.jpg
    Head Carriadge.jpg
    244.7 KB · Views: 250

Jim Hancock

Old School Technician
Is the wiper cover pulled all the way forward? Those screws are not related to carriage height. You need to see exactly what is hitting the head carriage. Put the printer in service mode, lower the caps and move the head carriage back and forth to see what is hitting.

Is the wiper cover pulled all the way forward? Those screws are not related to carriage height. You need to see exactly what is hitting the head carriage. Put the printer in service mode, lower the caps and move the head carriage back and forth to see what is hitting.
Hi, yes. I pulled all the way forward. But it's there that's hitting as you can see on the scratch marks. But I cannot lower it more or advance it that's why I thought it was possible to further adjust the head carriadge hight. If it's not, I don't know what else to do.

Anyway thanks alot for your help :)

woolly

haven't seen it mentioned but does the wiper assembly move up and down with the head height so the wipers wipe correctly for each height and got stuck on a higher level

I didn't found any adjustments on the wiper assembly I think it's the flexibiliy of the wipers itself that take care of the hight diference when cleaning.

Jim Hancock

Old School Technician
The wiper assy height is tied into the head height and adjusts automatically.

Is this the scratch you are talking about? - see attached pic. If so, look under the head carriage for something in that area. It looks like something is sticking down too far.

Attachments

• Wiper cover scratch.jpg
    Wiper cover scratch.jpg
    155.4 KB · Views: 260
Yes, that's the scratch, but all the wiper part touches the base of the carriadge. I looked over and over and can't find anything sticking out in that area. And it's marked also bellow the head carriadge(I just can't take a picture of it but it's a straight line running all the lenght). This started to happen when I replaced the 6 heads but they are far from the area where it hits, I don't know if with all the work something got loose.

Jim Hancock

Old School Technician
If the head carriage isn't level or is too low, you can adjust it in the following way. You will need a flat shim plate around 4"x8", can be larger, that is about 2.2mm thick. you will need to position it someplace on the platen. Raise the head carriage to the high position, and carefully move it over the shim plate, being sure the heads don't hit the shim plate. There are 6 screws on the sides of the head carriage, 3 on each side, that you will need to loosen. See attached pic. Loosen these screws, lower the head height to the low position, make sure the heads are level and resting on the shim plate and tighten the screws. Raise the head carriage to the high position and park it and remove the shim plate. You will have to realign the printheads, you should only need to do the horizontal and bidirectional. Let me know...

Attachments

• Head carriage adjustment screws.jpg
    Head carriage adjustment screws.jpg
    156.7 KB · Views: 246
If the head carriage isn't level or is too low, you can adjust it in the following way. You will need a flat shim plate around 4"x8", can be larger, that is about 2.2mm thick. you will need to position it someplace on the platen. Raise the head carriage to the high position, and carefully move it over the shim plate, being sure the heads don't hit the shim plate. There are 6 screws on the sides of the head carriage, 3 on each side, that you will need to loosen. See attached pic. Loosen these screws, lower the head height to the low position, make sure the heads are level and resting on the shim plate and tighten the screws. Raise the head carriage to the high position and park it and remove the shim plate. You will have to realign the printheads, you should only need to do the horizontal and bidirectional. Let me know...

Thanks Jim. I will only be able to work on the printer this friday but that seems to be what I need to do. I will confirm it and then get back to you.

Jim thanks alot for your support, you've been amazing. Finaly I was able to solve it with your suggestion, very easy after you pointing the right path. The carriadge was higher on one side.