• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

how to format list for labels

southern xtreme

Ok, I have a large order for labels for a machinery company. I have a long list to make a label for each. Each label must be 4" x 6" and the font size proportioned accordingly. Right now, I am typing each label and manually adjusting the size of the font to make it proportional to the 4 x 6 background. Is there a way I can do a 'one click' function of each word to make it easier and faster to fit it to the 4 x 6 background? I am still new and trying to learn the bells of the whistles of the software. Thanks for any suggestions.

iSign

I would tell the client that in all your vast experience (you can use "our" experience as yours for this purpose) that the best solution to this typography design challenge has always been to establish a one size fits all solution for 90-some percent of the various messages... and that a consistent sized label of 4x6 can become uniform looking for messages ranging from short messages like "ON/OFF" all the way up to "DANGER/HIGH VOLTAGE" and beyond... maybe the 5% of extremely long or short messages could be customized, but I might be inclined to alter the label size & retain text specs.

to try to make each message slightly larger based on having less letters is not only ludicrious, but it can't help but cost the client more money because I don't know of any one-click way to do that... but more importantly, I think the factory of plant will look atrocious with labeling like that!

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
I agree with Doug on the poor end result, but you can do it with just a click or two in Flexi.
Type out all your messages with each message a separate text object
Draw a 4x6 rectangle
Select the rectangle first then then all the text.
Go to the drop down menu: Arrange > Sizing > "Same width"
It will squish all the text objects to the width of the first object selected - in this case the 4x6 rectangle.

wayne k
guam usa

You may be able to use the Auto Serialize function to do this, too. You can create a label, with any amount of variables (text or numbers), then control them with the Arrange > Auto Serialize command. If you have a long list of names you can import them from a file, or type them in manually in the dropdown box.

OK, I just tried it with the Auto Serialize. It works.

Design one label that is 4x6, with all your text or numbers. Make sure you have your text positioned the way you want it. Go to Design Central > Paragraph > Full Justify. There will be a "Full Alignment Options" box that will open. You can use a dropdown box to adjust to: character and word spacing, word spacing only, character width, character size. Check the "fit to width" box and assign a width value.

Then select the whole graphic, go to the Align > Auto Serialize function and choose your different options.