Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to glue coroplast together?

Discussion in 'Tips & Tricks' started by wedosigns, Jun 28, 2012.

1. wedosigns

wedosigns Member

Sep 8, 2011
    Does anyone have any suggestions on what to use to glue coroplast together?
    Thanks Bruce

Tags:
  2. parrott

parrott Member

Jan 2, 2008
    Vol Nation
    Use silicone 1 (or is it 2?). There is a specific one that works. I can tell you locktite does not work.

3. oldgoatroper

oldgoatroper Roper of Goats. Old ones.

Jul 28, 2009
    Alberta
    SignManiac would probably have some pretty good input on this subject....

4. SignosaurusRex

SignosaurusRex Major Contributor

Mar 7, 2007
    Washington State
    How are you using the coro and in what configuration are you needing to glue? Exposure and life expectancy is another consideration. In some cases we use Hot glue gun with a glue stick compound / heat setting compatible to the project needs, sometimes a D/S membrane tape, sometimes a liquid or gel base, sometimes a caulk gun / tube type.

5. wedosigns

wedosigns Member

Sep 8, 2011
    Ok, what I am doing is making some a-frames out of 10 mil coro. At the top is where 2 pieces attach to form the handle and hinge.
    I do appreciate the input on the silicone, but I do not trust silicone to last longer than the bank takes to clear the check.
    I installed residential windows in the past life, lol. I am used to using thermoplastic caulking, which is like an elastic when dried, but will melt coro. Any silicone I have used will last 2-6 weeks before giving up.
    I have read that I have to torch the coro to take off some layer of chemical that is applied at the factory. I have not tried to torch it yet, but need to know what type of glue to apply.
    The area I am trying to fuse together is 3" tall by 24" wide.
    I do need it to last as it is a very good customer, where I am able to use one of his two bays ANYTIME to apply wraps.
    Thanks for the input!
    Bruce

6. SignManiac

SignManiac Major Contributor

Mar 25, 2006
    Mars Florida
    VHB tape between the hinge and face of your coro would be my suggestion

7. SignProPlus-Chip

SignProPlus-Chip Active Member

Feb 19, 2012
    Bluffton, SC
  8. Pat Whatley

Pat Whatley Major Contributor

Sep 29, 2003
    Wetumpka, AL
    After gluing together thousands and thousands and thousands of real estate signs when we had our screenprinting shop open and we always used Silicone 1. Never had an order come back because the signs came apart and believe me, realtors dang sure would have let us know. I've never heard of torching coro....we'd just grab a stack, print them and glue them.

9. FireSprint

FireSprint Very Active Member

You're probably talking about corona treating the surface. It raises the dyne level (a way of measuring the surface tension of plastic).

We'll flame the surface of older plastic before we print on it if it has been sitting in the shop for a while. This helps with adhesion of ink and furthermore would probably help with the adhesion of adhesives in theory.

To answer your question, we always used double sided tape like VBH.

10. GAC05

GAC05 Major Contributor

Dec 27, 2005
    Guam USA
    Not tired it myself but one professional sticker maker recommended wheat glue in graphics production.......

11. Gino

Gino Major Contributor

Jun 7, 2006
    PA
    Also, after gluing thousands of stands, easels and other Cor-X to Cor-X for whatever reason.... double sided tape works fine and so does the hot glue gun. Never had an issue, unless we put them on crooked.

12. All-SignZ

All-SignZ Active Member

Aug 6, 2010
    Upstate NY
    never have tried it for coro but plumbers goop is some good ****

13. Mosh

Mosh Major Contributor

Oct 19, 2009
    Nerbaska
    +3M vhb tape

14. wedosigns

wedosigns Member

Sep 8, 2011
    Thanks for the ideas!
    I am going to go with the double sided tape, no smell, no drying times, and I got lots of it, lol.
    Thanks guys!
    Bruce

15. slappy

slappy Very Active Member

May 31, 2005
    Earth
    i've always used double sided banner tape with success