• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Suggestions How to hang a double sided 4 x 8 sign

Conroy Loewen

Attached to this post you will see a project that I am currently working on. The picture is just a mock up of where the projected sign will hang.
My question is: "what would be the best way to hang this sign or what material would you suggest me using for an application like this.
In the past I have already used ACM sign blanks with a cedar 2x4 boarder to give it more hanging strength and weight. I also have used an aluminum exterior plywood sign sandwiched between to thin layers of aluminum.
My main concern is with it being a hanging sign and the wind swinging the sign back and forth. I want something that will not fall apart right away and yet be an economical option

Attachments

• Sign sample.jpg
    Sign sample.jpg
    672.6 KB · Views: 2,352

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I presume you mean 48" x 96". If that's the case, I've never seen a sign that size hung from two or 3 hangers. I highly doubt the municipality for that area will allow it either. It's just a total and complete disaster ready to happen. That's 32 sq ft of sail and there ain't no way you're gonna contain that from killing somebody if it gets started in a breeze, let alone a gale.

Billct2

You're going to get a lot of responses telling you not to make it as a swinging sign, that's a large panel for that type of install.
Also you will be asked about the integrity of the post and arm.
But I will just answer the question as asked. I would use at least 3/4" MDO, and a frame isn't a bad idea either. Swinging signs should be heavy to resist the wind as much as possible.
The sign should have sign hanger type hardware, that thru bolts, never eye bolts. I'd probably do something custom so I could get at least two bolts thru for each hanger.
No chain, no more than one s hook. Or better yet a shackle type hanger.

unclebun

We have a 4x8 we made about 7-8 years ago from two-sided Lusterboard that hangs from two eyebolts on a wood frame. Lusterboard was 1/2" plywood with aluminum laminated to both sides. It has plastic edging caulked onto it. We used metal brackets that bolt to the sign and a screw carabiner to attach it to the already existing frame. Last week we had two days of 40mph plus winds and it's still there, not to mention typical summer storms.

N. Glantz still lists Lusterboard in their catalog, so that would be an option for you if you want to make a single two-sided panel. Note: the church gave us the design and would not allow us to edit it.

Attachments

• WOW Church.jpg
    WOW Church.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 1,912

JTBoh

I sell signage and signage accessories.
This job is a catch 22 if it goes to permitting.
You need to make the sign heavy so it doesn't blow around, and has enough internal support to carry the weight.
The crossbar on the sign is not going to be strong enough to carry the weight you need to support. (from an engineering perspective, it'll get shot down and laughed at)

My advice is to replace whatever was there with whatever was there, and if questioned, call it a reface. Get waiver signed.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
We have a 4x8 we made about 7-8 years ago from two-sided Lusterboard that hangs from two eyebolts on a wood frame. Lusterboard was 1/2" plywood with aluminum laminated to both sides. It has plastic edging caulked onto it. We used metal brackets that bolt to the sign and a screw carabiner to attach it to the already existing frame. Last week we had two days of 40mph plus winds and it's still there, not to mention typical summer storms.

N. Glantz still lists Lusterboard in their catalog, so that would be an option for you if you want to make a single two-sided panel. Note: the church gave us the design and would not allow us to edit it.

One very important factor...... yours has two posts while the OP only has one. On the books, it will never fly, but in real life it will fly like crazy...............

rossmosh

upload_2019-3-19_16-42-2.png

Build two of those, or something similar, out of steel or aluminum It will look good and function well. This will bolt into the post structure and then bolt/screw into the sign. Should be more than strong enough to handle the sign.

As for the sign, build a frame out of whatever you're comfortable with. The mounting will secure to the frame. Then mount the printed signs on to the frame.

EDIT: In case it wasn't clear. One would be mounted at the top of the sign on to the horizontal structure. The other would be mounted to the vertical post. Should have absolutely no problem carrying the weight of the sign.

2B

Us a hidden steel frame (heavier than aluminum)
Then skin the frame, we typically use ACM

mounting to the frame, that is more of a matter of how easy do you want the installation to go.
an eye bolt in the sign frame and the wood frame, using a Coupling Link to connect them

Gino

Premium Subscriber
It's like watching a tennis match.

Actually, it's just easy to let the wind and breeze pass by without pushing against a rigid surface. The rigidness installation must be made fairly strong so it doesn't blow away, while a swinging panel will allow air movement below it as it moves outta the way. However, one should put a lead of some sort on it, so it doesn't flip around and hang itself.