• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Suggestions How to make a font list.

Signchief

I need to make a list or chart of fonts for customers to pick from and I looking for advice on the best way to go about this. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

shoresigns

Well, if you have a graphic designer at your shop, I'd say it's generally their job to decide what fonts are appropriate, not the client's job. However, a font list might be good for B2C jobs like boat lettering.

I would suggest typing out the name of the font and then all uppercase, lowercase and numerals. Repeat for each font you want, then print and put in a binder. There might be an automated tool out there to do it, but it doesn't take long to do one manually if you're keeping a reasonable limit on the number of fonts.

billsines

At least from my perspective, I strongly, strongly advise against that because I've gone down that road a few times, and normally what happens (at least with my sign products), I have a very specific height to width ratio I have to maintain, and customers will pick out the widest font possible for the longest phrase possible and rarely do they ever fit well. What I do is if a new phrase is being requested I do a few layouts with appropriate fonts for the size and send them a black and white pdf. I choose a font mostly based on :1.) space, 2.) does the saying have a certain letter that would look cool with font A or font B.

In other words you get what they want on a sign, then you feed them the fonts/designs that would fit in that space.

HDvinyl

Trump 2020
Quick and easy thing I've done, screen print from wordmark.it

Attachments

• 96419641.JPG
    96419641.JPG
    108 KB · Views: 221

Marlene

good grief, don't let a customer pick a font. if you do lettering where you do let a customer pick, just do a chart with a couple of block, serif and script fonts to pick from, not your entire list.

bannertime

I have a chart in my store that just says "Sans Serif, Serif, Mono, Slab Serif, Script, Decorative." Above it is a large "Bt" as an example, and under each one has 3 samples fonts. If they want to pick, I ask them which type do they want. Makes it easy. I've also used a program called AMP Font Viewer to print out a full chart of every font I have. I don't use it anymore.