• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

How to make an EPS file smaller in mb?

PROBIRD

Designed a banner today with vectors i purchased on the internet and the banner saves in EPS at 52mb.
Flexi will not rip it and sometimes will not even load it, is there a way to fix this?
I designed a few banners with store bought clipart and they save in the 4 mb range.

Thanks for any help.

PROBIRD

When i export all that comes up is the where to save to, save as file type and the name to save as.
Where would this tiff preview be located?

Thanks Again

thewood

Do I understand that you are designing in and RIPing with Flexi? Why are you trying to export as eps? Why not just RIP and Print from Flexi?

PROBIRD

I save my work in eps format so when i need to print another one i can just add it in production manager. I also tried to rip and print from flexi itself and it took about 15 minutes to rip to 50%, i think that is way long but could be wrong, i am new at this printing deal. Went and installed another 2 gigs of ram in the computer for a total of 4 gigs now, but it did not make much difference, i also get a "cpu warning" when trying to open the file sometimes.

Is it my 2 year old dell or too big of a file?

Kinda stumped.

gabagoo

I save my work in eps format so when i need to print another one i can just add it in production manager. I also tried to rip and print from flexi itself and it took about 15 minutes to rip to 50%, i think that is way long but could be wrong, i am new at this printing deal. Went and installed another 2 gigs of ram in the computer for a total of 4 gigs now, but it did not make much difference, i also get a "cpu warning" when trying to open the file sometimes.

Is it my 2 year old dell or too big of a file?

Kinda stumped.

Why not just save it as a Flexi file, or am I missing something here?

oldgoatroper

Roper of Goats. Old ones.
It seems to me that EPS is the most disk-hungry file format you could use. Saving as a native file is likely going to create much smaller files as many apps use non-lossy compression such as ZIP compression when storing files.

SignBurst PCs

That does not sound like an unusually large file for Flexi. Maybe there is something in the file itself that is causing the problem. I have run into particular elements that have caused problems with files. It could also be a lack of system resources that is causing the issue. It is hard to say without seeing the file.

HaroldDesign

Not trying to be an *ss, but if you can't rip a 52mb file on account of it's size the problem is your system and not the file.

PROBIRD

That's what I thinking, but it does the same thing on my home computer also.
Took 30 minutes to rip it today but printed very nice.

Thanks for all the help.

Phil1969

Since you're working on vectors, why not just reduce the banner size, save as tiff or eps and enlarge in Flexi when printing?

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
As others mentioned I'd take a close look at the specs of that computer. On a powerful machine Flexi can chew through multi gigabyte files in just a few minutes, a 52 megabyte files should rip in a few seconds. Unless there is something unusual with the artwork like Casey mentioned. I've also seen the once in a rare occasion odd thing that chokes Flexi - usually either some messed up effect or possibly a monster of a vector with a zillion points duplicated many times.

I'd also reccomend (if possible in your situation) running Production Manager on a separate dedicated computer and Flexi on you design computer. It frees your system up very nicely. Our rip computer with Production Manager is pretty bare bones - actually somewhat old but fine for the dedicated RIP. 2.66 Core 2 Quad, 8GB ram, dual 250gb hard drives, Windows 7 x64, and FlexiSign. No fancy video, screensaver, pretty much Windows only stripped to the bare minimums. No other programs run on that machine, no antivirus, firewall disabled, etc. It is NOT used for anything else - Production Manager added to the startup group and it's set to auto logon to our network. It tears through files nicely and just drives the printers and the cutter.