• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

How to perf cut on a Roland Camm-1 Servo GX-24

Impact Color

I'm wondering how I can perf cut a vinyl sheet.
Maybe the sheet I'm using is too thick, maybe I have the settings wrong. Here is what I have.

A vinyl sheet 300 gsm
A Roland Camm-1 Servo GX-24 with the force set to 250G (which seems like a lot from what I've read).
A 45 little blade. (This is the original one that came with it).
Illustrator (mac) running the Roland cut plugin.

From the illustrator I set the perf cut. In illustrator there is no option to set the pressure. As stated above the force on the Roland is set to 250. The piece goes through and I get a cut on the sheet. But it doesn't go deep enough to pass through. Any idea how I can do this to perf cut?

BVG

From memory the GX-24 doesn't support perf cutting as a separate cut mode. You could up the blade extension and downforce until you're cutting all the way through but not sure how effective that would be.

Impact Color

From memory the GX-24 doesn't support perf cutting as a separate cut mode. You could up the blade extension and downforce until you're cutting all the way through but not sure how effective that would be.
By up the blade extension you mean just lower the blade? What about passing it two times?

BVG

By up the blade extension you mean just lower the blade? What about passing it two times?
Yes just have more blade sticking out of the holder. Doing two passes can also help, but because the GX-24 doesn't natively support perf cutting there won't be any tabs to hold in the cut pieces. The extra media movement of cutting in two passes could cause issues.

What you want to do if possible, but you'll have to get your settings just right so that the cut vinyl is retained in the sheet and doesn't fall out whilst cutting.

Impact Color

Yes just have more blade sticking out of the holder. Doing two passes can also help, but because the GX-24 doesn't natively support perf cutting there won't be any tabs to hold in the cut pieces. The extra media movement of cutting in two passes could cause issues.

What you want to do if possible, but you'll have to get your settings just right so that the cut vinyl is retained in the sheet and doesn't fall out whilst cutting.
Let me say thank you for all your help thus far! I had tried to do more blade but surprisingly it doesn't cut anymore. The way I did this was by turning the blade more down and it cut about the same as when it didn't have the longer blade. Could it be that the blade is dull? Or is there another setting I should set?

Jester

Slow is Fast
Here are a couple of suggestions which should help:
Download Versaworks from RolandDGA.com. It will run your GX-24 and will give you access to the full complement of perf cut settings.

Start with a new blade. It should make a big difference, as 250 is quite a lot of force for what you are trying to do.

If still having trouble, try a new 60 degree blade instead of the 45 you likely have now.