Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to Process this Image for the FX?

Discussion in 'Gerber Omega, Graphix Advantage & MacImprint' started by stitchup, Jun 17, 2012.

1. stitchup

stitchup Member

I know for may, this is pretty basic stuff but, as I've been away from my Gerber FX for a long while and when I do use it, I'm printing spot colour labels, I'm stuck :oops:

I've been asked to produce some stickers for the rear end of motorhomes.

This is the image I've been sent.

Smiley_Face_by_Junior1290.jpg

It's the gradation from yellow to white in the cheeks that I have trouble with!

I've tried importing the jpeg into Composer 3 but instantly the picture loses it's vibrancy - I'm obviously doing someting wrong!
    Would some kind soul help me with step by step instructions :D ?

My customer wants 150 of these at 25cms diameter.

Many thanks

John

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 17, 2012
    Tags:
  2. CanuckSigns

CanuckSigns Very Active Member

Nov 11, 2008
    Ontario
    Sorry I can't help, but I would be interested to know as well, we use our edge for a lot of solid spot colour printing and things like this would be done on our versacamm, but if I knew how to print simple things like this on the edge it would open up alot more opportunities!

3. edgette

edgette Member

Jul 12, 2010
    Why not just redraw it? I wouldn't think it would take more than 15 minutes and you can get the colors to pop how you want.

4. Fred Weiss

Fred Weiss Merchant Member

Sep 11, 2003
    Olympia, WA
    • Draw the elements of the image with your shapes tool and Bezier pen. including a hidden circle that is filled with Spot Yellow.
    • Set the fills to Spot Black and Spot Yellow. Set all Black fills to Overprint and compound them.
    • Draw a circle on each cheek to correspond to the outside of the gradient.
    • Set a radial gradient fill in each with a Spot Yellow fill running from 100% to 0%. Compound the gradient to the outer Spot Yellow circle.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 17, 2012
  5. royster13

royster13 Very Active Member

Apr 3, 2009
    Montrose BC
    I am curious why you want to print them on your FX....What would your costs be doing them in-house versus outsourcing...

6. CanuckSigns

CanuckSigns Very Active Member

Nov 11, 2008
    Ontario

for 150 pcs, we would also look into printing these in house. I'm guessing you are looking at 2 hours start to finish. if there were more than 1000 of them, we would look into outsourcing.

7. royster13

royster13 Very Active Member

Apr 3, 2009
    Montrose BC
    But i am still thinking outsourcing will be less than the sum of the parts....2 hours has to be at least 180.00 and I can buy them finished for less than that..

8. stitchup

stitchup Member

Thanks for the help Fred, much appreciated.

To be honest, I hadn't thought of out-sourcing. However, I should be able to do these simple tasks.

Thanks again.

John