• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

How to properly apply a 10cm x 10cm vinyl sticker

tag4u

Hi all
Till now we used to make really small stickers ( 5x2 cm and smaller ). Now we have a customer who needs 10x10cm decals. Before taking the order I would like to understand how those should be applied properly.

We print eco-solvent ink on Oracal 3461 white vinyl and the decals will be applied to a new and clean plastic surface.

I saw a couple of videos on the net showing a hinged and a wet method.

Q1 : what method should be a recommendation in my case please ?
Q2 : in many demonstration I saw that the printed side of the decal is protected by sort of another vinyl which comes off pretty nicely when pulled. What it this layer made of and how is it applied please?

thanks in advance
Oleg

Dan360

The vinyl layer that comes off is clear premasking tape, come in a beige paper version as well.

For something that small, I wouldn't bother masking it. Nor would I hinge it or apply it wet. Just peel half the backing, start at one edge and work to the opposite edge, using the backing to keep it straight. Probably don't even really need a squeegee for it.

DerbyCitySignGuy

Hi all
Till now we used to make really small stickers ( 5x2 cm and smaller ). Now we have a customer who needs 10x10cm decals. Before taking the order I would like to understand how those should be applied properly.

We print eco-solvent ink on Oracal 3461 white vinyl and the decals will be applied to a new and clean plastic surface.

I saw a couple of videos on the net showing a hinged and a wet method.

Q1 : what method should be a recommendation in my case please ?
Q2 : in many demonstration I saw that the printed side of the decal is protected by sort of another vinyl which comes off pretty nicely when pulled. What it this layer made of and how is it applied please?

thanks in advance
Oleg

Are they laminated? If so, you should have enough rigidity in the vinyl to just peel back and fold the edge of the backer and go from there. Even without laminate, it shouldn't be too hard. I wouldn't worry about premask on something that small.

turk89

As previously stated. I would just peel back the backing 3-4cm apply the leading edge and slowly work any bubbles out and peel back the backing at the same time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Joe House

Some factors to consider -
Will someone with experience be applying these? Experienced people can probably do this as described above. Inexperienced people would benefit from a thicker material - either application tape or laminate or thicker vinyl
What vinyl will you use? - Cast would be more difficult to apply than calendered vinyl. We have a 6mil vinyl for easy applying without lamination or application tape
What kind of surface will they be going on? Curves, static charge, surface energy can all make a difference.
If you're applying in house, I'd make a few samples and get the hang of it - even if they're going out the door, try some yourself so you can give pointers to your customer as to what to expect.

Good Luck

striper14

surely you are using air release vinyl ?? every thing i get printed is air release whether i want it or not ...lol

bannertime

Please list these occasions....I am curious....

Small contour cut letters and decals don't need to be and probably shouldn't be air release. Especially ones for low surface energy plastics. Maybe "shouldn't" wasn't the right word, but I personally don't believe using air release on hard hats, bumper stickers, car window decals and such is the right choice. Nor would I use it on concrete and wall graphics.

eahicks

Magna Cum Laude - School of Hard Knocks
Small contour cut letters and decals don't need to be and probably shouldn't be air release. Especially ones for low surface energy plastics. Maybe "shouldn't" wasn't the right word, but I personally don't believe using air release on hard hats, bumper stickers, car window decals and such is the right choice. Nor would I use it on concrete and wall graphics.
Hmm, interesting. I assume the OP meant printed decals, so yeah, small cut letters was never in question...of course you wouldn't use it for that. But hard hats....why not? Especially for the customer to install...they appreciate bubble free vinyl. Bumper stickers? We do them all the time. Car window decals? Absolutely! I don't get what you think air release is for. I haven't heard one single complaint or issue with a decal we've sold with air release. Ease of installation is the primary reason for using it. Hell, our etch vinyl is air release.

Just use a piece of tape on the top and then stick it on. We are talking about a 4"x4" sticker. These things are tiny. Masking tape the top to the object and use a 6" squeegee and squeegee down. Done.