• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

How to remove graffiti from vinyl print?

zeeky120

A few months back, we printed some 4'x8' political signs. These were printed on Oracal 3165 with an eco-solvent printer, and then laminated with Maribu Clear Sheild Classic Lite (Matte) liquid laminate.

Of course, we got the call this morning that someone had spray painted graffiti on the sign, and them wanting to know solutions.

Anyone ever had any luck getting spray paint off without damaging the print?

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Is that Maribu a liquid lam and if so, was it brushed, rolled or sprayed ?? Most liquid lams are only UV prohibitors and won't take a lot of harsh scrubbing or chemicals. Rigid lam is what should've been used. I would just tell them to scrub it, and stop before the ink starts coming off. Other-wise, just re-print more signs. Kinda like built-in obsolescence.

T_K

I'm not aware of any way to remove graffiti from normal laminates. There are specialty laminates that claim to be graffiti-resistant, but I've never used them.

The only thing I know of to do is reprint. But I wouldn't do it for free since we can't control damage by 3rd parties to the signs. If this is a good connection, you could offer a discounted reprint. That's the best I know of.

DougWestwood

Anti-Grafitti lam

Hi There,

Sorry those Trump signs got vandalized.
Just proving he IS good for small businesses!

Yeah, the roll stock anti-graf lam was the way to go at the start.
Spray-ons don't stand up to the job for which they were created.

Good luck,
- Doug
Vancouver

Billct2

I agree about the liquid laminate probably not handling cleaning.
Also depends on what was used to tag it.
I would tell them to try some Goof Off, can't hurt to try.
When ever anyone mentions "Graffiti Proof" I always say it doesn't exist.
But you can try an anti graffiti laminate, there are films and liquids, combined with a good coat
of wax may enable them to be cleaned, if they do it right away.

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
Of course, we got the call this morning that someone had spray painted graffiti on the sign, and them wanting to know solutions.

The sovereign solution is you ask the client if they would like to buy some more of those.

I agree about the liquid laminate probably not handling cleaning.
Also depends on what was used to tag it.
I would tell them to try some Goof Off, can't hurt to try.
When ever anyone mentions "Graffiti Proof" I always say it doesn't exist.
But you can try an anti graffiti laminate, there are films and liquids, combined with a good coat
of wax may enable them to be cleaned, if they do it right away.

The best I have tried is 3M 1160. Made more for traffic signage but you can use it on vinyl also. We also sheet the acrylic of our message boards with it. Most paints still stick to it. So if it gets tagged it still looks bad. But you can use some of the most horrible VOC filled anti graffitti you want and it will come right off. Usually doesn't leave any residue left behind. Still nice and clear, no milky. IF it's to bad 1160 peels decently easy and without adhesive. So you can resheet the sign with 1160 again.

DougWestwood

and your point?

In this entire thread the only mention of Trump, other than right here, appears in your post. If that's your idea of biting incisive wit, you're half right.

Half right? Gee, you used three words: "biting incisive wit", so half of that would be, what, "biting in" or "cisive wit"? Clairvoyant would be the word you want to use here. But not really that tough to discern that, at this time, if political signs were vandalized, they were probably Trump signs.

Doesn't matter which side one is on in this particular case.

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
Half right? Gee, you used three words: "biting incisive wit", so half of that would be, what, "biting in" or "cisive wit"? Clairvoyant would be the word you want to use here. But not really that tough to discern that, at this time, if political signs were vandalized, they were probably Trump signs.

Doesn't matter which side one is on in this particular case.

That would be 'half-wit'. Your semi-literate remarks lead right into the obvious QED.

Why do you assume they were Trump signs? Other than personal prejudice. Perhaps you feel that the Virgin Clinton is so immaculate that graffiti would just metaphysically fall off any sign touting that specimen?

That would be 'half-wit'. Your semi-literate remarks lead right into the obvious QED.

Why do you assume they were Trump signs? Other than personal prejudice. Perhaps you feel that the Virgin Clinton is so immaculate that graffiti would just metaphysically fall off any sign touting that specimen?

Perhaps you feel that the Virgin Clinton is so immaculate that graffiti would just metaphysically fall off any sign touting that specimen?

^^^This

*Makes mental note to include tiny picture of Hillary on all signs for Anti-Graffitti protection.