• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

How to remove ink from Steel Cup?

binki

I have a customer in a panic. She ordered steel travel cups and the printing is wrong. Can I remove the printing with acetone without damaging the finish? Is there anything else I can do to remove the ink?

My fallback is just to put vinyl over it with some design.

TIA

Last edited:

royster13

Trying to fix a mistake like this will not provide a satisfactory result.....Who ever made the mistake should replace...

jiarby

sublimated or silkscreened?

Sublimated, not likely
Screened, maybe

Sandblasted.. definitely.

The REAL question... why waste your time on a blank that costs so little? Any amount of labor spent removing the old graphics will exceed the value of the blank.

The SECOND question...
what is your proofing process, and mistakes policy? Did the customer approve the bad art? Was it your fault? Did a 3rd party vendor make the mistake?

daveb

General Know-it-all
I understand your situation, I like to be the go-to guy when a customer has a problem too (as long as they come to me next time they have money to spend!). I would imagine the cups are stainless, your not going to hurt them with acetone (or anything else you want to try) they're no good as they are anyway... if it works you're a genius, if not she's no worse off. I'm with Jarby and royster... 1. who ever screwed up should fix the problem 2. It's not worth the time to put vinyl over it, very labor intensive. Good luck!:Big Laugh

Marlene

is she in a panic because of a time issue like this is for an event right now and she can't wait? if so, you could try the acetone. other wise, decals to cover would be the best way out of this if she needs them because she can't wait. if she can wait, then they need to be re-done. did she buy them from you? who screwed this up? if it's you or the printer, then they have to be redone. if it was her, then she has to buy more.

binki

We did not do the cups, we did some other work for her for the same event. She did the cups via a mail order supplier.

The event is next week, replacing them from the original vendor may not have them in time.

She came to us because we did work for her for the same event and she liked it and thought we might be able to help.

The printing is either screen or offset printing, not dyesub. I can clearly see and feel the raised ink on the cup.

We are doing this as a courtesy. It is part of our overall customer experience and is what gets us more business in the future. There is no profit motive in this project but there is in the overall life of the relationship. Our best customers have been ones that we pulled out of a jam.

I figure I can either remove the print with acetone and reprint with a pad printer (not likely given the amount if time we have) or I can use vinyl to produce an image and place it on the cup. If I can remove the ink and put the vinyl down then I don't have to come up with something to cover the ink.

I agree the finished product will not be as nice as if it were done correctly in the first place but the alternative of not having the product is worse in her opinion.

Just looking for options on the ink removal at this point. She is checking with the vendor today to see if they can replace them in time. If they can then I am off the hook but a hero for being an option. If they cannot I will be a hero if I can fix the problem. It is a win-win for our company and we pick up a customer for life.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Why don't you just order the needed cups and do them over for her and let her pay for the new cups and you donate your ink and time ??

Marlene

Just looking for options on the ink removal at this point. She is checking with the vendor today to see if they can replace them in time. If they can then I am off the hook but a hero for being an option. If they cannot I will be a hero if I can fix the problem. It is a win-win for our company and we pick up a customer for life.

when she calss them, have her ask them for a solution. they may be able to ship overnight a product to remove the ink and provide decals if it was their error. if it wasn't their error, they may still be able to help you with what to use to take the ink off.

you are really in a win-win situation as she will remember your company as being the one who was there to help in her panic.