• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help How to save a ValueJet 628?

Michael J

My son operated a Mutoh ValueJet 628 for his business and made many large format images for me. The quality was excellent. That is the good news. He had to move to Thailand and left me with the printer which I sold on eBay. UPS didn’t read the “This Side Up” signs on the large box and turned it upside down and dropped it. According to them the packing was insufficient resulting in no insurance coverage. So here is the current situation.

I have a lightly used printer that was dropped upside down. The sheet metal was bent a little. The on-off button panel on the top surface is broken. The heads were cleaned before shipment. The real issue is the black ink from the waste reservoir has leaked onto the pc boards and controls on the right end of the printer.

Please help suggest next steps.

1. Any recommendations to know where to take this in the San Francisco bay area for a clean-up and rebuild
2. or what can I use to clean up the ink without damaging anything

3. or should I try to sell the undamaged parts?

Any comments are welcome. Thanks for your assistance. I can upload photos if that helps.

CanuckSigns

Sounds like its a lost cause, the ink in the main board likely caused a few shorts, plus being dropped likely put everything out of alignment, it will never print as it should without putting more money into it than its worth.

RustyNZ

I have a lightly used printer that was dropped upside down. The sheet metal was bent a little. The on-off button panel on the top surface is broken. The heads were cleaned before shipment. The real issue is the black ink from the waste reservoir has leaked onto the pc boards and controls on the right end of the printer.

If there is metal bent then that can really cause some issues, the spillage would likely have done quite a bit of damage. I'm not sure what the resale value on that printer would be but I'd say in repair costs it's getting pretty up there and even if you start replacing stuff you don't know that you won't find more problems.

Joe House

As someone who repairs printers for a living, this is a project that I would discourage you from pursuing. You're going to sink more money into it than you'll be able to get out of even if you can overcome the bent metal and ink leakage. There may be a few parts that you could salvage, but they're probably parts that rarely go out on those machines. Anything that's had ink on it or shows any kind of impact is probably toast though.

Good Luck.