• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Question How to ship Foam-cor?

JgS

What would be the best way to ship posters mounted on 3/16" foam-cor? I need to ship 2 per box and they are 24"x36" in size. My main concern is the posters getting bent or crushed during shipping.

Billct2

There are lots of ways, most involve some type of bubble or foam wrap and/or cardboard, scrap foamcore or coro protection. If you do a lot you can probably buy some boxes and sleeves meant for just that purpose.
My best suggestion is to not use foamcore in the future, use PVC instead. I stopped using foamcore and only use PVC now, for the difference in cost for the average poster it's worth it. I just tell the client that they won't have to worry and denting or crushed corners and they appreciate the upsell.

ams

Put do not bend, do not drop, do not break, do not get wet, caution and do not tear labels and then cross your fingers and hope for the best.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Cut some masonite slightly bigger and tape the livin' sh!t out of it, but put some spacers around, so nothing gets crushed..... and insure it heavily.

The comment about not using foamboard in the future...... your best piece of advise for the decade. That sh!t is pure junk and worthless. Even if it gets there without any damage, they'll wreck it, taking it outta the box and blame you.

JgS

I wish pvc was an option but I have to do 100 of these posters and until I figure out how to fix my Excalibur I’m cutting these down by hand.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Don't you own a saw or some kinda cutting device, other than an Excalibur ?? How do you cut wood ??

2B

agreed, PVC is much better option. Even by hand cutting PVC is easy, and better than having to replace the damaged boards

In this case because of the QTY and standard size you can stack several boards together clamp them and use a circular saw with a straight fine tooth finishing blade and a track saw base, will be done very quick.
Just do it in an area that is easy to clean because of the debris from cutting

for shipping, we use edge protectors, place in a box and that has MOSTLY been good enough for the brown crew
Heavy Duty Edge Protectors - .225" thick, 2 1/2 x 2 1/2 x 72" S-14337 - Uline

ExecuPrintGS

We just sent some foamboard prints out to sema. We ended up putting them on a pallet and making a box in a box to keep them from being crushed.

JgS

Don't you own a saw or some kinda cutting device, other than an Excalibur ?? How do you cut wood ??
I don’t. I run an in-house art department in an office building. No power tools allowed.

JgS

agreed, PVC is much better option. Even by hand cutting PVC is easy, and better than having to replace the damaged boards

In this case because of the QTY and standard size you can stack several boards together clamp them and use a circular saw with a straight fine tooth finishing blade and a track saw base, will be done very quick.
Just do it in an area that is easy to clean because of the debris from cutting

for shipping, we use edge protectors, place in a box and that has MOSTLY been good enough for the brown crew
Heavy Duty Edge Protectors - .225" thick, 2 1/2 x 2 1/2 x 72" S-14337 - Uline

That's not a bad idea. do you usually use 3mm PVC when mounting posters?

Gino

Premium Subscriber
So, can't someone get the wood and cut it at home ?? Otherwise, a utility knife isn't a power tool. Set up a table, put your substrate down, clamp a straight edge and cut away until your heart is content.

flyplainsdrifta

we ship foam all the time for temp graphics with maybe 1 in 30 coming back damaged in the normal shipping times, holiday its 1 in 25. double wall cardboard boxes, foam corners, and outer corner protectors and a hell of a lot of filpak. especially since its only two boards the weight is not a huge factor. also having boxes an inch or two bigger than the actual size is what you really need. 38x26x3. something like that.

2B

we ship foam all the time for temp graphics with maybe 1 in 30 coming back damaged in the normal shipping times, holiday its 1 in 25. double wall cardboard boxes, foam corners, and outer corner protectors and a hell of a lot of filpak. especially since its only two boards the weight is not a huge factor. also having boxes an inch or two bigger than the actual size is what you really need. 38x26x3. something like that.

This is probably the biggest point, regardless of the material