• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

How to: Use expired ink cartridges in JV3

ColesCreations

I have been getting a few inquiries how to reset the date in JV3's, to enable using up all the ink.

Many users are frustrated by having to replace their cartridges before empty, due to date expiration. This is not necessary.

Also, we always "add 30 cc" when printer says "near end". We verify by weighing the cartridge with an electronic scale from an automotive paint shop. If it has 430 grams at the time of "near end", we add 30. This corresponds to around 8%, and is significant. An empty cartridge weighs around 390 grams (This is as low as I've seen one, and will suck air). I'd be careful going close to 400 grams if running large prints though! Don't leave town with "near end", as printer does not do its regular cleaning cycles, and it will clog.

During the 2 years we have had our JV3, we have used SS2 OEM ink, most cartridges have been expired, some even when we got them, many of them more than a year out of date. We have not had any problems with plugged heads, all 4 (8) heads still have perfect test prints, on the original heads.

For you JV33/JV5 users, I would recommend uniting and demand from Mimaki that they release the code to reset the date, when the printer is out of warranty. Tell MImaki to do it, if not, the next one will be an Epson... (Damned nice solvent printer out now...)

Here's how to reset the date to factory default:

1. Power down the printer and computer. Unplug power cord.

2. Unplug firewire.

3. Remove cover on back of printer, right side (Behind firewire plug)

4. Carefully remove firewire card.

5. Behind firewire card you will find the battery. Take it out, leave it out for a few minutes, then put it back in.

6. Put everything back together, and power back up. Your date should now say 010105. Some settings will have changed back to factory default, such as feed etc, but nothing major will change.

PM me if you have questions, I check my mail pretty much every day.

Last edited:

gabagoo

I am not sure I want to take the risk in screwing up the machine to save a few dollars. I understand that Mimaki is shipping more and more ink units with very little time on them. I myself have 2 unopened blacks dated for april and I figure there is no way I will use them up by the end of may, but I really do not feel comfortable in fiddling with the printer. I am sure you are correct and probably nothing major will happen, but I might be the low percentage guy lol. When running 8 cartridges it seems as though there is always one that is low and the heads dont get wiped for some time. Is it really critical that it run the cycle? I do maintain the machine pretty good every night and clean the sides and front and back of the heads. as a side note to Mimaki owners. I have always used alcohol every friday to clean the print head bars and then reapply 3 in 1 oil and it is amazing how nice the heads move afterwards. Hopefully all you guys out there are doing this as I feel it puts a lot less wear and tear on the motors.

ColesCreations

I of course have to add: If you do screw up your printer, I will not pay for the repair. You're on your own :rolleyes:

It has not been critical for us that it has not done its cycles due to low; but nozzles have been dropping out causing bad prints. These have been restored by changing the cartridge and running a light cleaning cycle.

If you have done this procedure to a JV3, please share with us, in this thread, how it went. Good or bad.

A few dollars?? During the last 2 years we have had this printer, the savings have been in the $1000's. Half price for expired ink, and not having to throw away half full cartridges. This may not be a factor if your printer runs all the time. Ours does not. I'm not even counting printer not getting ruined due to locking up when date has passed.

If you do not feel comfortable with taking apart $20k equipment, then maybe you'll be better off leaving it alone. It is, however, comparable in difficulty to installing a wireless card in a computer... Just be careful and make sure everything is powered down. For added security, use a grounding strap between you and the printer. (I did not)

Or try the chips from Fieldcenter.

Last edited:

tooserious

Worked great so far. Don't tell the ink Nazis. The battery was a little tricky because of the frame but it just comes up and out to the right. Thank God I didn't just throw away the four expired cartridges...oh and shake shake shake would seem to address the pigment seperation wouldn't it??? Thanks Coles........

ColesCreations

Just steal one of your wife's panty hoses , pour the ink down, collect in a bucket, syringe it back into the cartridge, and buy a chip- new color is "Almostblack" :clapping:

Hurricane

I pulled the battery

I have been getting a few inquiries how to reset the date in JV3's, to enable using up all the ink.

Many users are frustrated by having to replace their cartridges before empty, due to date expiration. This is not necessary.

Also, we always "add 30 cc" when printer says "near end". We verify by weighing the cartridge with an electronic scale from an automotive paint shop. If it has 430 grams at the time of "near end", we add 30. This corresponds to around 8%, and is significant. An empty cartridge weighs around 390 grams (This is as low as I've seen one, and will suck air). I'd be careful going close to 400 grams if running large prints though! Don't leave town with "near end", as printer does not do its regular cleaning cycles, and it will clog.

During the 2 years we have had our JV3, we have used SS2 OEM ink, most cartridges have been expired, some even when we got them, many of them more than a year out of date. We have not had any problems with plugged heads, all 4 (8) heads still have perfect test prints, on the original heads.

For you JV33/JV5 users, I would recommend uniting and demand from Mimaki that they release the code to reset the date, when the printer is out of warranty. Tell MImaki to do it, if not, the next one will be an Epson... (Damned nice solvent printer out now...)

2. Unplug firewire.

5. Behind firewire card you will find the battery. Take it out, leave it out for a few minutes, then put it back in.

6. Put everything back together, and power back up. Your date should now say 010105. Some settings will have changed back to factory default, such as feed etc, but nothing major will change.

I pulled the 2032 battery. Is this the correct battery? When I replaced it 3 inks went green. I got 05070700. Any ideas? My inks are almost full.

ficommm

Cjv-30

Hello, I was reading your thread on expired ss21 ink. I have a CJV-30 160, will this process work as well?

heyskull

I do not think it will work on the CJV-30 160 as it is a completely different machine.
Also with the CJV-30 160 being a newer machine their will be further security measures to prevent you fooling the machine.

SC

Scotger

Old ink cartidges

2. Unplug firewire.

Thanks for your advice. We have been in the embroidery business for many years in Germany and also plot and sublimate. We bought, 18 Months ago (2013), a Mimaki CJV30-100. We have not used it much but we always run it if we are not using it to stop the ink from drying. We now have cartridges that are blinking red and are not allowing us to even run the machine for a couple of minutes to prevent the ink from drying. I must now buy cartridges to just to clean the jets.

The instructions you have explained to extend the dates…would they work on this model?
Any other tips. I am very inexperienced with the Mimaki and not particularly technically minded.
Would appreciate any help as I get pissed off changing Cartridges just to stop The machine from drying.

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
All-

This thread is about SS2 ink and JV3 machines. Not JV33 / CJV / JV5 generation machines and not SS21 inks. These are a completely different generation machine and these instructions will not work on them.

If you have a JV33 / CJV / JV5 machine you do have a couple of options if you want to use expired ink. The cheap easy option is to buy disposable chips and replace the ones on the expired cartridges you have. The chips are easy to swap on the cartridges, just a single small Philips head screw attaches it to the cartridge. Disposable chips can be bought for under $10 each. If you do not print much then you might in the long run be better off buying a set of permanent chips (this type resets back to 9 every time the cartridge is remove and reinserted or the printer is shut down and powered back on) however the permanent chips will cost you a bit more.

One note of caution as well - if you ever have a cartridge with the ink chip removed do NOT attempt to insert the cartridge into the machine without a chip on it. The contacts in the cartridge slot that read the chip will extend into the space on the cartridge where the chip should be and will make it so you will have to partially dissemble the machine in order to remove the cartridge without causing damage to the machine.

You last option - attempt to decompile and hack the machines firmware. First of all this is illegal as the machines firmware is copyrighted. Second of all depending on how the firmware is constructed it is likely both encrypted and compress making hacking it a job for only the most talented folks who specialize in reverse engineering software. You also run a very high risk of making some sort of edit to the firmware that will basically turn the machines mainboard into a non-functional brick.