• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

How to vectorize a vehicle to look like clipart?

jeffkics

Sign Says
So I was sent the attached picture from my client. He had t-shirts made and this was the artwork. This is an actual vehicle of his, that I lettered. So someone at a tshirt co. did this to the truck and I would love to know how they did it. I am looking at details like the tread on the tires, and the contrasts, the one color shadows and highlights, and things like that, the overall stylized almost clipart look to the truck
Take a look and let me know what you think
Thanks!

Attachments

• black top special shirts 2.jpg
    black top special shirts 2.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 753

bannertime

Looks like a combination of posterizing and vectorizing. I'd start in PS and try to posterize it, then move into Illustrator to trace and finish the look. That'd be my best guess on a quick design. Not sure how long that t-shirt guy took to do it. It looks good though.

AKwrapguy

So I was sent the attached picture from my client. He had t-shirts made and this was the artwork. This is an actual vehicle of his, that I lettered. So someone at a tshirt co. did this to the truck and I would love to know how they did it. I am looking at details like the tread on the tires, and the contrasts, the one color shadows and highlights, and things like that, the overall stylized almost clipart look to the truck
Thanks!

If someone took a nice enough picture, brought it into Photoshop you should do something like this. There are various plug ins and actions that you can use as well as using the levels and curves to increase the contrast. After that you could bring it into a vector tracing program and tweak the setting to get something like this.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
Thanks!

I've been exploring all the possibilities of doing this sort of thing as a conversion in Photoshop. Trials of different software; plugins galore; tons of YouTube how to videos etc. Nothing comes close and there's no substitute for a graphic artist manually drawing each vector to arrive at a result as nice as what you're showing.

Links to YouTube Videos

Patentagosse

Damn it's a nice rendering... I'd have tons of customers (truckers) who would like their rig on their shirts like this... the only problem always remains the final cost. There's no magical key to push that instantly convert a picture into vector-like drawing of that level (yeah... tire treads, shadows and chrome reflection) and on the other side, o/o cannot afford spending 1200-1500$ on a Terry Akuna design (so nices but pricey). I remember decades ago when I went to NHRA Grand National with my uncle, all race teams had such nice tshirts with their car and sponsors in that kinda rendering (cartoonish, clipart-like). Always been a fan of this. I've done some but never as detailed as this one.

Patentagosse

Thanks!

Why not contact 'em directly and ask (...) or inquire how much they would charge you... may worth the time... sub it and offer something other can't

Gene@mpls

Print it from the picture [grayscale]? Or... I am sure the Chicoms can do it, if you can get to the right Chicom, probably for $15US.

We have used an artist many times for very similar artwork. Just as detailed and some even more so. He is a full time illustrator, but you pay for it. I’d guesstimate around $1000-$1200 for something similar. Here is a design he did for someone recently. Same type of detail. He does many licensed jobs for auto manufacturers, Nhra race teams, nascar, and others.

Attachments

• 0A14099A-028A-498A-AA03-444FE540FFCA.jpeg
    0A14099A-028A-498A-AA03-444FE540FFCA.jpeg
    891.1 KB · Views: 620

rjssigns

As others have said you can take a good picture then bring it into Illustrator for rendering. I have a Mustang GT nearly completed. Not stellar work, but it is doable. Takes hours though. I pen trace major shapes on the pic and move them into another area for reassembly. These shapes get filled with solid color and detailed later with gradients, effects, etc...

shoresigns

I've been exploring all the possibilities of doing this sort of thing as a conversion in Photoshop. Trials of different software; plugins galore; tons of YouTube how to videos etc. Nothing comes close and there's no substitute for a graphic artist manually drawing each vector to arrive at a result as nice as what you're showing.

Links to YouTube Videos
100% agree. There's no way of automating this type of vector drawing. It's hours upon hours of plotting points and curves with the pen tool. It's hard to imagine until you've done it yourself.

Marlene

I watched the youtube link Fred posted and did this really quickly so it isn't perfect, but it works really great to turn a photo into a drawing.

Attachments

• lighthouse.jpg
    lighthouse.jpg
    402.2 KB · Views: 495

EffectiveCause

Premium Subscriber
I watched the youtube link Fred posted and did this really quickly so it isn't perfect, but it works really great to turn a photo into a drawing.

Adobe has an app for the phone that does this too and you can see what it will look like before you snap the picture.

Gino

Premium Subscriber

Unless I'm missing something here, a pencil drawing is still gonna be a raster. I don't think that is a vector per the OP's request. What was done in your example is done all the time, but it will not create a vector.

Marlene

Unless I'm missing something here, a pencil drawing is still gonna be a raster. I don't think that is a vector per the OP's request. What was done in your example is done all the time, but it will not create a vector.

The example the OP posted will never be a vector as way too much detail and shading. This matches up to what he was talking about. If he wants to turn a photo into something like he showed, the youtube photoshop method does that.

iprint

The example the OP posted will never be a vector as way too much detail and shading.
Oh really?!?!?! Anyone can open Illustrator and call themselves a designer but that doesn't mean it is true. Just as anyone can pick up a wrench, doesn't make them a mechanic.

edited to state that the pic is not my illustration, just an example of what can be done if you have some talent and know how to use the tools.

Attachments

• mustang illustration.jpg
    mustang illustration.jpg
    219.8 KB · Views: 470