• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

How wide should text be on back of a 3XL shirt?

34Ford

I did 18 shirts for a fire dept. and I made the text 14" wide and the customer is asking why I did it so small.
I do know that is a lot of real estate to cover, but what would you do?

WildWestDesigns

I did 18 shirts for a fire dept. and I made the text 14" wide and the customer is asking why I did it so small.
I do know that is a lot of real estate to cover, but what would you do?

Granted this is embroidery, but I'll use my largest design field (16 x 17 when using Mighty Hoops, 18 x 19 if I use the OEM hoops (I hate this, so it's usually Mighty Hoops)) and these are for XL and 2 XL. By default since that is the max that I can do without re-hooping, that's what the 3 XL will get as well (most don't want the extra cost of having to segment a design for re-hooping (if that's necessary)).

The only way really to make it easier to press bigger or to embroider bigger is to create the shirt yourself. It's doable, we can and still do that, but more often then not, when it comes to embroidery, those are really short runs and few and far between are they done.

34Ford

Guess I am going to ask the customer to get out a yardstick and tell me how wide he wants.

mark-s

Customer input very important.
Have them check the final design,before print.
Same applies to signs.

mark-s

Phenex

Were all the shirts the same sizes? Did they provide the design or did you create it yourself? How were they customized? Heat transfers, vinyl, screen printing, embroidery - you did not say.

If I were screen printing them, I would size it to look "good" on the smallest size shirt. I have done jobs that ran from youth small to adult 4xl, they all had the same design and design size. On the larger sizes, it will be smaller as there is more real estate. I will point this out to the customer and if they want (and will pay for it) I will make a second size for the adult shirts. Remember too, there is a 10" difference in width between an adult small (18" chest) and a 3xl (28"chest). That is a lot of real estate variance. A design that "fills" the small shirt will look small on the 3xl.

That is why I always design to fit the smallest size garment. I show the customer how it will look, and then let customer choose if the want one or more design sizes - AND what that choice will cost. Most times, they will pick the same size design for all as they don't want the added expense of the second design, especially for a small run.

WildWestDesigns

Were all the shirts the same sizes? Did they provide the design or did you create it yourself? How were they customized? Heat transfers, vinyl, screen printing, embroidery - you did not say.

If I were screen printing them, I would size it to look "good" on the smallest size shirt.

General rule of thumb for embroidery is the same, unless specified otherwise by the client.

I'm reading this that all the shirts were 3XL since that was the only sized mentioned.

TXFB.INS

for screen printing, the rule of thumb is the smallest shirt is the size used for the imprint on the entire order.
Youth sizes and Adult sizes are treated as separate orders.

The customer is always told of this and if they want to buy more screens to make the graphics larger on the bigger shirts they can.

34Ford

Yea they were 18 3XL Gildan Ultra Cotton shirts and smaller sizes I haven't done yet. Its just simple Arial Bold text on the back that he wants wider.
Im using white Easyweed vinyl, and he has loved the shirts I have done for them earlier, I guess next time I know to do one before do them all.

The difficult part for me in re-doing these is the logo I am doing for the chest. A lot of labor in weeding.

Guess I am gonna eat the 18 shirts. Maybe if I soak the letters in Acetone or MEK wonder if they would let go? I have used MEK on small mistakes like the center of a e.

attachment.php

Attachments

• 27498352434_4c5459a768_o.jpg
    27498352434_4c5459a768_o.jpg
    702.2 KB · Views: 755

34Ford

I go 11" to 12" on all shirts when I design stuff for them. seems to work well on all sizes

And to think I did his letters 14 inches wide. He has yet to bring me the screen printed shirt that he wants me to emulate.
I almost bet you the letters wrap around to some degree. I measured a guy today that had a 3XL on and 14" looked fine to me.

JohnBFryJr

We use a knock out gun to take out mess ups but that is a lot of cleaning. I think the chemical is Tex Out. Its nasty stuff.