• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Suggestions How would you approach this?

rob nichols

Attached is an image of a bench. This is located outside of the local hospital. They have a major problem with people smoking in the area of the bench, and the entire area is smoke free. They would like something on the bench that says "NO SMOKING". They prefer the wording be on the bench, not the stone column. They would prefer something large to make an impact. My first thought would be to make a panel to cover the entire back, but not sure what material to use. ACM would dent easily and may be a snag hazard. What approach would any of you fellow professionals take? Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Attachments

• Bench.jpg
    Bench.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 430

GB2

Old Member
It seems kinda of silly to put that wording on the bench itself however, if that is what they want then I would suggest removing one or more of the wooden slats and routing the lettering into the wood or just masking and painting that wording on the bench slats.

Marlene

Right above the bench, there is a flat area where you could put a sign. I would talk them into that. If you put it on the bench and people are sitting, others could light up near there while standing as the sign would be covered.

rob nichols

I would love to put a sign on that stone, but they are set on having it on the bench. I agree with people sitting and blocking the message.

TimToad

Do a formed aluminum panface to cover the entire back and wrap it with a full print withthe print wrapping over the returns on the panface. You can screw it in from the top and bottom so there won't be any fasteners on the face to get snagged on.

rob nichols

Do a formed aluminum panface to cover the entire back and wrap it with a full print withthe print wrapping over the returns on the panface. You can screw it in from the top and bottom so there won't be any fasteners on the face to get snagged on.
Yes, perfect. Love it. Thanks

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Don't know about you, but sitting against a metal sign in the cold, just doesn't sound very inviting, so maybe no one will sit there and you can read the part about No Smoking. In the summer with shorts and short sleeves, you'll probably stick to it.

TimToad

Yes, perfect. Love it. Thanks
Our local school district took over a defunct school in the area and wanted us to come up with a way to reface the two monument signs out front without tearing them all apart and starting over. There were metal letters epoxied into the walls and it would have taken hours and hours to pry them all off. We made the panfaces just big enough to cover all the letters to save them money on all that removal time.

We use aluminum panfaces instead of ACM or MDO quite frequently as they give us the opportunity to add more depth to a sign, they never rust and the durability is far better than those other materials. We upsell them it and on using IJ180C instead regular day to day IJ35C and most customers embrace the idea of a far more durable sign. Our own panface sign sells multiple similar projects per year for us.

Attachments

• AUSD Paloma Creek High monument revamp.jpg
    AUSD Paloma Creek High monument revamp.jpg
    539.5 KB · Views: 293
  • AllSigns and Graphics sign.jpg
    AllSigns and Graphics sign.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 265

2B

Since the stone cannot be used, attach a piece of steel / aluminum to the bench so it extends higher than the bench edge and then attach the sign to the piece extended above the bench.
This way still readable even when someone is sitting there

Terry01

Just make up a sign with "More people die of sugar related diseases and conditions, than smokers..It's your choice" and fix it to the bench

papabud

Lone Wolf
i think it would be easier to epoxy the ground with a big no smoking zone graphic on it. no one will even pay attention no matter what they do unless they position a smoking patrol officer out there to tell them they are not supposed to do that there.

MikePro

my top2 options would be:
A) angle-mount a 4" graphic panel that sits below the seat
B) remove one of the bars, throw it on a CNC/Engraver, and engrave "NO SMOKING" in it & fill with black.

ooooor, thinking "outside of the box"
simply put your NOSMOKING verbiage on the pillar to the right of the bench in the photo.

JERHEMI

Our local school district took over a defunct school in the area and wanted us to come up with a way to reface the two monument signs out front without tearing them all apart and starting over. There were metal letters epoxied into the walls and it would have taken hours and hours to pry them all off. We made the panfaces just big enough to cover all the letters to save them money on all that removal time.

We use aluminum panfaces instead of ACM or MDO quite frequently as they give us the opportunity to add more depth to a sign, they never rust and the durability is far better than those other materials. We upsell them it and on using IJ180C instead regular day to day IJ35C and most customers embrace the idea of a far more durable sign. Our own panface sign sells multiple similar projects per year for us.

How do you form the pan? I understand you bend all corners with a sheet metal break, but how do you make it seamless without slits in the corners once all the corners are bent? Do you weld them and sand them smooth? Also, how would you accomplish the pan for something like the attached image? Thank you

Attachments

• 14DDBE70-B31A-431F-972B-593F0049786B.png
    14DDBE70-B31A-431F-972B-593F0049786B.png
    2.8 MB · Views: 277