• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

How would you install a sign this size?

0igo

I have a good customer of mine that wants to put up foam letters across his storefront. The letters are going to be big about 42in tall by 2ft wide and 1in thick. I'm just kind of scared on how I'm going to go at this sign. I've put up foam letters before but the biggest I put up outside where 18in. And they're still holding up. But these are more than double that size. Would double sided tape and silicone be enough?? Any help is appreciated.

Also he is interested in other materials like ACP or acrylic but I think a gatorboard 1in thick would look the best. Any suggestions on material wise?

Attachments

• 20180215_222206.jpg
    20180215_222206.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 313

0igo

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
Well I just got a new CNC and I'm trying to put it to use. But I think their patterns will help me out a lot. I might just play around with some scrap and see if I can replicate their mounts.
Ah, If I had a new CNC I would want to do it in house also.
I have not worked with Gatorboard but it looks like you would need to cap or finish the edges to use as lettering.
Maybe not if the color is close and water getting in there does not effect the material.
I think stud mounting would be best for letters that large.
Should be a good project to try new gear on, just make sure they can't fall down short of a major storm ripping the facade off the building.

wayne k
guam usa

ams

It is illegal to use VHB tape for this type of sign application, also don't use silicone, it's unsafe. All of them need to be pin mounted or screwed in.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I don't know about illegal, but I doubt your insurance company would stand behind you, should anything come down that wasn't fastened with physical fasteners. Relying on some tape on an exterior wall seems a little extreme. Not sure why they're even considering foam for the job ?? Seems someone is trying to cut corners.

James Chrimes

I would design the sign then flip it ( mirror ) I would have set drill holes placed in the letters that you can have the router drill part way in. You can use the same design to have your printer make you a pattern on paper. Once you flip the letters over the holes should match perfectly.

BTB Signs

I would definitely stud mount anything that large. Easiest option would be formed plastic Gemini letters but you could make your own 1” acrylic letters too. Also, possibly HDU Foam if you can paint in-house too. It usually comes down to what the customer is willing to pay for to narrow it down.

One other note - I have done about a 8’x3’ x 2” thick HDU foam logo installed with VHB and silicone. These were the landlords requirement except they approved a larger size in this case. I advised against it but ended up doing it. We made the logo into 3 or 4 pieces that puzzle fit together and had to put 3M primer on the back to get the tape to stick. It all worked out fine so far...

0igo

I don't know about illegal, but I doubt your insurance company would stand behind you, should anything come down that wasn't fastened with physical fasteners. Relying on some tape on an exterior wall seems a little extreme. Not sure why they're even considering foam for the job ?? Seems someone is trying to cut corners.

Yeah they're not trying to pay full price so I'm over here scratching my head. I quoted them on some channel letters without light and they said too much so now I'm guessing foam would be the best option for them.

0igo

It is illegal to use VHB tape for this type of sign application, also don't use silicone, it's unsafe. All of them need to be pin mounted or screwed in.
Thanks for the heads up. Do you know of any of any videos that show this technique? I'm trying to practice on scrap board before I even take the job

Pat Whatley

Stud mounting styrofoam letters of any size is the wrong way to do it. How are you planning on holding the studs in the styrofoam? Standard studs will pull right out of the foam. Glue on pads? Okay, now you're back to using silicone but you're only using little dollops of it behind the pads. Putting a line of silicone behind the letters gives you much more adhesive contact area, won't pull out of the foam, and they're going to have to scrape the things off the wall whenever they want to remove them.

HDU will hold studs, ACM will hold pads. Personally I'd use 1/2" or thicker PVC with a combination of studs and silicone for letters that size.

Bill TheFed SP'r

with a cnc I would use HDU , cut them upside down with a hole pattern for studs/pins. just don't go through the letters. Within the program you can also do the layout of the overall sign onto something like 1/4 plywood. that will give you a good pattern to drill holes into the building. Glue in metal studs to the building. all thread is even better. Then glue the letters to the studs. I would use an epoxy or high end construction adhesive.

bold_will_hold

wrong material for the job. You could possibly get away with that type of installation interior on drywall.
as others have stated they need to be stud mounted. If you have a CNC why not use HDU or Acrylic?
Last time I checked gatorfoam is not for exterior use. You better plan on sealing those letters.

0igo

I would definitely stud mount anything that large. Easiest option would be formed plastic Gemini letters but you could make your own 1” acrylic letters too. Also, possibly HDU Foam if you can paint in-house too. It usually comes down to what the customer is willing to pay for to narrow it down.

One other note - I have done about a 8’x3’ x 2” thick HDU foam logo installed with VHB and silicone. These were the landlords requirement except they approved a larger size in this case. I advised against it but ended up doing it. We made the logo into 3 or 4 pieces that puzzle fit together and had to put 3M primer on the back to get the tape to stick. It all worked out fine so far...
Thanks for all this. How would yo
with a cnc I would use HDU , cut them upside down with a hole pattern for studs/pins. just don't go through the letters. Within the program you can also do the layout of the overall sign onto something like 1/4 plywood. that will give you a good pattern to drill holes into the building. Glue in metal studs to the building. all thread is even better. Then glue the letters to the studs. I would use an epoxy or high end construction adhesive.

What kind of studs would you use? would something like this be okay or no?
threadedstuds.jpg

0igo

Stud mounting styrofoam letters of any size is the wrong way to do it. How are you planning on holding the studs in the styrofoam? Standard studs will pull right out of the foam. Glue on pads? Okay, now you're back to using silicone but you're only using little dollops of it behind the pads. Putting a line of silicone behind the letters gives you much more adhesive contact area, won't pull out of the foam, and they're going to have to scrape the things off the wall whenever they want to remove them.

HDU will hold studs, ACM will hold pads. Personally I'd use 1/2" or thicker PVC with a combination of studs and silicone for letters that size.
what studs would you use? the only studs my sign supply sells are metal threaded ones.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Let's go back a little and regroup about the substrate to be used.

If these letters are 3-1/2' tall, I hardly think a 1" return is gonna do anything at all for the appearance. You'd probably want a 3" or 4" return at least. That now puts the the letters into perspective. Now, that just about knocks the HDU out of the question cost-wise. Acrylic that size would be extremely heavy, so why not think about a standoff pad, a second pad with a stud and use 3/4" acrylic ?? You glue the first pad to the back of the letter, put the stud in and place another pad where you want it to meet the wall and give it some extra schmutz in the hole and on the pad for added protection. You might need about a 6" stud, but it will hold.

Johnny Best

Why not mount your foam letters on ACM panels that are painted the same color as background. Then attach panel with appropriate screws and anchors. That looks like a stucco over lath entrance.
Or, go real cheap and just make some letters out of vinyl with a drop shadow as shown.

Attachments

• oigila.jpg
    oigila.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 217

GaSouthpaw

Profane and profane accessories.
Agree with Pat- except the PVC part. I'd be worried about it warping at that size with the sun that it looks like that surface is getting. I'd use HDU with threaded studs.

Rocco G

Yeah they're not trying to pay full price so I'm over here scratching my head. I quoted them on some channel letters without light and they said too much so now I'm guessing foam would be the best option for them.

Then sell them just the trim-capped letter faces from channel letters. This will give you the 1" depth you want (actually about 1 1/8"), you can glue blocks to the back for studs. You can even space them off the wall if you like. Whoever makes these for you can provide a pattern too. Gemini can do the whole thing for you, complete with studs, pattern, etc. And IIRC everything they sell is guaranteed for life. Drop one and break it and they'll replace it free. I see from the post above that you have a new toy to play with, but exterior grade 1" material of most any kind is too expensive to waste. Play around with the foam and pin-mount them in your shop as a test for future jobs.

However, I wouldn't think of them as a "good customer" if they don't want to pay for something better. Now i don't know the exact circumstances but once you get known for doing work cheaply, that's the kind of job you will see most often. YMMV

HandsomeBob

Here is a basic question. You said that the client wants foam letters but the picture looks like a shopping center. What does the landlord want? You need the landlords approval before proceeding. You might be spinning your wheels here.

I have had clients that have told me what they want believing they could do what they wanted or could force it through with the landlord only to find out that no way would they be allowed to have what they wanted. Since the client wants foam it sounds like they want to go cheap.

Have you done an overlay of the photo with the design? How does that look? With the architectural element in the top center you might have a visual conflict.