• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

How would you print to a standard?

Pauly

Printrade.com.au
I dont really need to do this as i print to the printers maximum capabilities, but i think about it from time to time which is how would you print something to a standard like Fogra53 ?

Is it done in the RIP or you convert the input profile of the image to Fogra53? or does your output Icc profile have to output fogra53 standards? im not sure.

Thanks.

SignMeUpGraphics

Super Active Member
I would have thought you set the printer's output target to the required standard.
That way the RIP will process any source file to fit within that standard upon output.

dypinc

I dont really need to do this as i print to the printers maximum capabilities, but i think about it from time to time which is how would you print something to a standard like Fogra53 ?

Is it done in the RIP or you convert the input profile of the image to Fogra53? or does your output Icc profile have to output fogra53 standards? im not sure.

Thanks.

There is no one answer. I really depends on what your final outputs are you want to achieve.

When outputting the same graphics that you want match to multiple devices then using a standard like Fogra53 might be the route you want to take, and in that case the graphic probably should be converted to Fogra53 at the design stage. But that workflow will limit high gamut devices to that standard, probably not something you want to do in the sign business where the output device gamuts are way higher than say an offset press.

On the other hand if you design in RGB and convert to a high gamut output device profile in the RIP at print time for signage and then that client wants to match that on an offset or digital press someone is not going to be happy.

As you can see there are times you might want to limit the output devices gamut if you know some where down the road that piece might be printed on a lower gamut output device.

Here we run both Inkjet and digital press. Very really do we limit the Inkjet unless we know matching has to be done between them. Now when we run inkjet proofs for the digital press for say RGB assigned graphic then yes the inkjet is limited but to the digital press output profile. This is done on the proofing RIP. But we have a lot of other job come in with standards set like Fogra53 in that case the files are already limited and converting to a standard on the RIP is not necessary. Another case where convert to a standard on the RIP (digital press RIP) is not necessary is where the RGB input is converted to the output profile of the digital press. With with correct knowledge, willingness and a offset press profile this can also be done and is sometimes surprising how much more gamut you can squeeze out of offset then the so called standard CMYK profiles will give. For many years I have printed calendars with landscape scenics. When I first started out we covert to CMYK standards profiles and it was so disappointing in what limits were imposed. When I got into Inkjet printing and then early digital press printed I started wondering why the workflow of eliminating CMYK standards and converting from input device to output device could not be applied to offset press printing. Luckily I had a offset printer who was willing to try that. What an improvement to those high gamut landscapes and the pressman was quite impressed.

I tried to be brief here but one could go on forever about this, and why and how you would want to use standards and why and how you would not want to, and all the different ways to implement that.

Pauly

Printrade.com.au
I would have thought you set the printer's output target to the required standard.
That way the RIP will process any source file to fit within that standard upon output.

Congrats on being a mod!

That's what i had thought, but not sure how to do that inside onyx. Unless my icc profile gamut is limited to a standard. I may try it in some free time.

There is no one answer. I really depends on what your final outputs are you want to achieve.

When outputting the same graphics that you want match to multiple devices then using a standard like Fogra53 might be the route you want to take, and in that case the graphic probably should be converted to Fogra53 at the design stage. But that workflow will limit high gamut devices to that standard, probably not something you want to do in the sign business where the output device gamuts are way higher than say an offset press.

On the other hand if you design in RGB and convert to a high gamut output device profile in the RIP at print time for signage and then that client wants to match that on an offset or digital press someone is not going to be happy.

As you can see there are times you might want to limit the output devices gamut if you know some where down the road that piece might be printed on a lower gamut output device.

Here we run both Inkjet and digital press. Very really do we limit the Inkjet unless we know matching has to be done between them. Now when we run inkjet proofs for the digital press for say RGB assigned graphic then yes the inkjet is limited but to the digital press output profile. This is done on the proofing RIP. But we have a lot of other job come in with standards set like Fogra53 in that case the files are already limited and converting to a standard on the RIP is not necessary. Another case where convert to a standard on the RIP (digital press RIP) is not necessary is where the RGB input is converted to the output profile of the digital press. With with correct knowledge, willingness and a offset press profile this can also be done and is sometimes surprising how much more gamut you can squeeze out of offset then the so called standard CMYK profiles will give. For many years I have printed calendars with landscape scenics. When I first started out we covert to CMYK standards profiles and it was so disappointing in what limits were imposed. When I got into Inkjet printing and then early digital press printed I started wondering why the workflow of eliminating CMYK standards and converting from input device to output device could not be applied to offset press printing. Luckily I had a offset printer who was willing to try that. What an improvement to those high gamut landscapes and the pressman was quite impressed.

I tried to be brief here but one could go on forever about this, and why and how you would want to use standards and why and how you would not want to, and all the different ways to implement that.

Thanks for your brief explanation. I do understand what you're saying, especially when to and when to not print to a standard. I know i dont need to and wont ever have to. But because i dont need to do it, it always interests me in how to do it.

Andy_warp

Not sure you do anything really. There is a report that will generate from the rip stating if Fogra colors are in gamut...similar to pantones.
I found this in the "easy media" module of Caldera.

There is an extended preflight module that will let me do job costing and generate reports with this same info.

It's nice for profile grading too. You can compare the gamuts of two output profiles visually.

...as you can see, my dye sub gamut is pretty weak by the numbers!
We get some nice output though!

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 138
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 101