• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

HP 360 - Add profile from interweb

JoeBoomer

I'm new to the HP 360. I've used L25 & L26 and controlled everything through Onyx.

I downloaded a Oracal Profile for Oracal 3850. I imported it into the media manager, but how do I add it to the actual printer?

I can't use the profile because it doesn't match the printer, which is only set to "Generic Backlit Self Adhesive Vinyl".

Basically, how do you add downloaded profiles to this printer? I could do the "add new substrate" on the printer, but it uses it's own generic values to start, which could be way different then what the media calls for. I don't want to start from scratch when these manufacturers are providing profiles for me to use.

?????

Thanks Team!

Bly

Through the printer's web page - setup - substrate preset management.
You can also download directly to the printer from the substrate library tab online search

I'm new to the HP 360. I've used L25 & L26 and controlled everything through Onyx.

I downloaded a Oracal Profile for Oracal 3850. I imported it into the media manager, but how do I add it to the actual printer?

I can't use the profile because it doesn't match the printer, which is only set to "Generic Backlit Self Adhesive Vinyl".

Basically, how do you add downloaded profiles to this printer? I could do the "add new substrate" on the printer, but it uses it's own generic values to start, which could be way different then what the media calls for. I don't want to start from scratch when these manufacturers are providing profiles for me to use.

?????

Thanks Team!

The HP Latex 300 Series printers are quite different from the previous models in terms of how they communicate and work with the RIP software. The Latex 300 units are referred to as Contone printers, whereas the L2 machines are Halftone devices.

With the Latex 300 printers, HP has invented a new type of packaging for Media Profile (called Substrate Preset), that use the new OMS file extension. This is the type of file that is most typically distributed for use with the Latex 300 series. It plugs in to the printer itself (as opposed to the RIP) through the EWS browser-based interface as Bly mentioned above. This file format (OMS) is a nice advancement, because it is RIP Agnostic (universal to all supported RIPs), and is a totally self-contained package, and is easy to install and use.

If the file that you downloaded was not an OMS file, then it is installed in a different fashion. Most RIPs have their own proprietary file format for media profiles. Onyx uses the OML format, Roland Versaworks is RML, Wasatch has it's own etc. These all plug in to the RIP, and not directly into the printer itself, and are specific to each RIP.

If the file you are using is an Onyx OML file, that has been built for the Latex 300 series, then it plugs in to the RIP through Media Manager module of Onyx. You also need to have a media defined in the printer itself, that uses the same name (must be identical) in order for them to be used together, when printing onto that media product. You would load the media into the printer, and be sure to identify the media as part of the load sequence, and the printer should synchronize with the Onyx RIP to upload the media name to the RIP. That name must match the name in Media Manager without deviation, and then the ICC profile and other information contained in the OML will be used to drive the printer.

Using canned OML files with the Latex 300 is definitely more work to set-up than using the OMS file, but it is a supported workflow, and can offer benefits to savvy users.

Paul

If you have a 360, why not just make your own?

With most classes of media products, I would agree with this. The ability to easily and quickly generate custom media profiles using the on-board measurement device (X-Rite i1 spectro) is a true game changer for implementing custom color-managed workflows for this printer category.

There are limitations to the i1 device however, in terms of what media types and applications are well suited to it's use. Backlit media and applications, such as the Orajet 3850 is one such media which the use of the on-board measurement instrument is not recommended. The i1 device is intended for use with opaque medias, and not translucent products. For these type of media, something like a Barbieri LFP in transmissive mode would be a better choice of measurement instrument.

Paul