Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HP 365, Colour Calibration Obsolete REFLECTIVE

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by DrunknMonk, Jan 12, 2018.

1. DrunknMonk

DrunknMonk Member

Aug 23, 2010
    England Uk
    Hello all, on my HP 365 we have to do a colour calibration on the media's when it displays it on the printer, which is what we always do, but how can you do this on reflective media as it won't scan the media as it reflects too much, so what I'm asking is what does the colour calibration actually do, is just to check for head alignment / print head blocks ?

Tags:
  2. dypinc

dypinc Very Active Member

Mar 9, 2011
    Here
    Why who requires that? It is not the printer.

3. DrunknMonk

DrunknMonk Member

Aug 23, 2010
    England Uk
    the printer says when you load a media, colour calibration is either good, recommended or obsolete.

Attached Files:

4. dypinc

Mar 9, 2011
    Here
    So that still does not require you to do anything about it.

Since you can't calibrate and profile reflective media, find a good SAV media/output profile set that works with your reflective. Use it for your baseline, so then if you need to re-calibrate because of hardware or other changes use that SAV media setting to do it.

5. DrunknMonk

DrunknMonk Member

Aug 23, 2010
    England Uk
    thanks for the reply, that's because I calibrated on a standard vinyl, we have a profile for the media, direct from the manufacturers, as I cant calibrate on the reflective that's why I asked the question what does the calibration do.

6. dypinc

Mar 9, 2011
    Here
    The calibration sets the correct density for each of the 7 values of all six inks on a per media preset basis.

7. DrunknMonk

DrunknMonk Member

Aug 23, 2010
    England Uk
    so if I don't colour calibrate again and leave it as obsolete, what do you think will happen, print quality or colour changing issues, we only use this vinyl/profile to print 1 shade of blue & a green (solid colours) then cut them out on a plotter.

8. dypinc

Mar 9, 2011
    Here
    It will probably print fine, unless you have just changed printheads then you might see a color difference. If you got profile for the media, direct from the manufacturers how did they recommend you calibrate that media preset? I would ask them if they didn't document it.

• Like Like x 1
  9. DrunknMonk

DrunknMonk Member

Aug 23, 2010
    England Uk
    Thanks dypinc ill ask the question, thanks for your input.

10. papabud

papabud Lone Wolf

Mar 7, 2016
    Toledo, OH
    the color on my hp stays pretty much the same over time, but it does change slightly.
    when i have to color calibrate my reflective or window perf i just load my standard vinyl and use that to calibrate with.
    keeps everything at the same base line

• Like Like x 1
  11. bannertime

bannertime "You guys do banners, right?"

Sep 8, 2016
    DFW
    That's strange. What kind of reflective? I get successful scans on the engineer grade.

12. papabud

papabud Lone Wolf

Mar 7, 2016
    Toledo, OH
    i use the 3m 780 i think