• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

HP 370 - Centering Banner Issues

rdm01

We have a 370 and a 570. Both have issues with centering prints on the media. When "centered" is checked in the RIP the print is rarely centered. We'll wind up starting a banner multiple times trying to offset it to get it centered. Often, we will see that the banner needs to move .5" to the left for even hems, but will need to enter a seemingly arbitrary number (1.5", 2", or maybe .125") in order for it to actually center.

RIP is Onyx.

Anyone else know how to solve this issue?

AKwrapguy

Not sure on Onyx, but in Flexi, I can set the margins to 0. My HP570 prints 1/4 inch from edge. So just account for that when setting up spacing.

rdm01

It's aggravating. I have 38" banner, page width is setup for 38", I set the print to "center" with 0" offsets front/back/left/right, and it will place the print .5" off center. So I place the same print set with a .5" offset in that direction, and it moves it a seemingly random distance in the other direction (in this case about .2").

bannertime

It's aggravating. I have 38" banner, page width is setup for 38", I set the print to "center" with 0" offsets front/back/left/right, and it will place the print .5" off center. So I place the same print set with a .5" offset in that direction, and it moves it a seemingly random distance in the other direction (in this case about .2").

Yeah, I've never been able to figure it out. Some times I get it to work fine, some times it seems to do what it wants. I have to take the color bars and any type of trim lines off for it to work the best.

Dan360

I've never been able to figure it out. I run double sided banners with a decent bleed and safety margin to work around it.

papabud

Lone Wolf
make sure your media settings dont have a bleed or offset or margin in them, and check the same settings on the machine end also.

dypinc

If I remember right that was one of those weird Onyx things. When I demoed Onyx I found a bunch of strange stuff like this I could not figure out but since I didn't really like Onyx and had no intention of purchasing it I never tried to figure some of this stuff out. Might be best to call Onyx and see what they say if you are committed to Onyx.

flyplainsdrifta

i know on my 560 with caldera, i can run a 3 foot banner with 1" hems on the sides on a 38" roll. you need to do a lot of tricking the machine and the rip into doing what you want. i first started with a custom page size without the automatic margins the printer/rip adds to the hp latex page sizes. then i load and let the printer measure as usual. then what i do is i go into substrate settings and manually tell it the size of the roll. as you may know, the size the printer measures is probably a half inch under the actual size. telling it what the full roll is forces it to print at size (at least this works on my 560 with caldera). with onyx i am not as sure if you have all the necessary tools but i would assume you should.

dypinc

I would get after your RIP support people. There is no reason you should not be able to center your print on the media. The two RIPs (Fiery XF and ColorGate) that I have used the most on the L360 and the L25500 before had no problem centering the print except in cases of nesting or containers. So it is defiantly not the printer. For what these RIPs cost there is no excuse for not being able to center the print on the media.