Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HP 560 noise

Discussion in 'General Chit-Chat' started by JBurton, Aug 19, 2019.

1. JBurton

JBurton Signtologist

Sep 28, 2017
    Arkansas
    So I had a roll run out of material before the print finished, usually the printer rips the material from the core and gives me the message, substrate detatched from core. This time it did not, it just stayed connected and just decided it was out of substrate. Fair enough. I popped a new roll in, but the printer is now making a clacking noise. It is only when the material advances, not retract, and if I put it into move material mode and tap the advance button, it sounds like a clanging, even when the material has not really advanced any. All of the noise appears to be coming from the right side of the printer, where the material hits the first roller, or possibly the actual material spindle itself. Does anybody have any ideas before I call in the service agreement?

Tags:
  2. Christian @ 2CT Media

Christian @ 2CT Media Major Contributor

Jun 15, 2009
    Mesa, Arizona
    Are all of your black pinch rollers in place? Some times those break with a bad jam.

3. JBurton

JBurton Signtologist

Sep 28, 2017
    Arkansas
    I'll take a hands on look to inspect the rollers, visually nothing seemed out of place.

4. JBurton

JBurton Signtologist

Sep 28, 2017
    Arkansas
    Pinch rollers all look good. I'd guess it's in the motor or some sort of tensioner on the media side, as it sounds like a spring being struck every time I tap the button. I'm sure not going to start taking it apart while under warranty, but I was curious if anyone had any ideas.
    Side note; the printer is still printing great...

5. Mike G

Mike G New Member

Sep 21, 2017
    Brookfield Ct
    To the right of the platen plate is a blue nob, you can open that up and take the platen plate off to inspect the roller. There might be something stuck in there.

6. Ere

Ere Member

Jul 12, 2018
    Colorado
    This might sound silly but make sure there isn’t anything on the gear that drives a media roll.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. bannertime

bannertime Very Active Member

Sep 8, 2016
    No
    I was going to suggest inspecting the loading system. I know when we put heavy rolls on there is a bit of creaking/cracking noise from that metal gear.

8. JBurton

JBurton Signtologist

Sep 28, 2017
    Arkansas
    I just tried that, but my dumb *** went to the sleeping printer, opened the window, and started unlocking the platen. The printer woke up and feeding material into the edge holder I had to move to get to the platen knobs. Thankfully the carriage wouldn't attack me since the window was open! I got everything unjammed and back together so I could unload it and huzzah, she runs silent once again!
    I was trying to, but I don't see a good spot to inspect this gear other than seeing a sliver of the teeth.

9. ikarasu

ikarasu Very Active Member

Jun 10, 2016
    Port Coquitlam, bc
    Funnily enough mine just started to do the same today...

I narrowed it down to the gears. Mine sounds like an obvious gear grinding problem... looking in it looks like it's cheap plastic gears.... on a machine that can handle 130LB media that seems like a pretty big flaw. we have 2 months of warranty left on ours... I sent an E-mail out to our repair guy to get a service visit to see whats going on.

10. ikarasu

Jun 10, 2016
    Port Coquitlam, bc
    Interestingly that metal gear that's spinning in my video isn't spinning at all on my second machine. Likely an easy fix... But I bet the service guy comes in with a brand new $2000 assembly

11. ikarasu

Jun 10, 2016
    Port Coquitlam, bc
    Well... I found out the gear is for the wiper roller assembly.

I took a pen and lightly touched it while it was moving... the machine errored out and asked for a restart...so I looked at the error and it was an error with the wiper assembly servo. after the reboot the noise is gone and the servo is no longer moving.

I actually removed the whole platen roller and put it back and restarted the machine prior to this, and the machine never said the wiper assembly was attached...so for some reason motor was just stuck on.

We've never used the wiper assembly before... now I'm going to try it when I have downtime just to see if it's supposed to be that loud. I guess it doesn't matter if I never use it, but it'd be good to know!

If your hearing clanking I'd look in that area, see if something is moving that shouldnt be.

12. JBurton

JBurton Signtologist

Sep 28, 2017
    Arkansas
    Oye, that sounds harsh! I really wished I had recorded mine because it was a very audible clang, but not nearly as grindy.

Glad you got her fixed up. We never use the wiper assembly either, but same thing here, down time is a luxury I'd kill for. Two days in a sauna doing the worst kind of flex face replacement has me dragging today. Anybody else ever have a flex face where the nuts are inside the cabinet?