• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help HP 560 scuffs down length of media

JPR-5690

Im having scuff marks running down the length of the media on the back side of a lot of my prints.

It seems to happen more on paper-based media but I've also seen it on PE banner and release liner.

Its not much of an issue on single sided prints but it makes double-sided prints unsellable.

I've attached a picture. The scuffs are more apparent on the printed area but they're on the blank media as well.

Ive been wondering if the vacuum is set too high and its causing the ridges on the platen to rub into the media and "polish" those lines into the media...

Anyone else experience this? My media manufacturers are pretty clueless and HP hasn't been too much help...

What vacuum settings do you all use?

ikarasu

Some media you.do need to lower the vacuum otherwise that happens.

There isn't really a set vacuum... It all depends on the media. I'd lower it until you don't get those marks, and hope it's not too low that it causes head strikes / tunneling.

You can also try using the output platen protector that came with the printer. It's meant to protect your print when printing double.sided prints.

JPR-5690

I looked into using the platen protector after speaking with one of the media manufacturers but it looks like that only covers the output platen and not the print platen.

What media product (manufacturer/ media #) is being used when this occurs?

The raised platen dot rows are not linear, but are positioned in a wave pattern on the print platens. As such, they are unlikely to be the cause of this image quality defect.

JPR-5690

What media product (manufacturer/ media #) is being used when this occurs?

The raised platen dot rows are not linear, but are positioned in a wave pattern on the print platens. As such, they are unlikely to be the cause of this image quality defect.

Magic EcoBlock, LexJet satin poster paper (same as HP premium poster paper), HP satin wrapping paper, and LexJet production display film (2 sided smooth pet) all show the scuffs the worst, but they're visible on release liners of other materials as well.

I measured the space between the scuffs - 7/8in - which is the same distance between each of the platen ridges.

I know the ridges are in a slight wave pattern but I think they wave is slight enough that the scuff just reads as a single thick mark as opposed to a row of little scuffs caused by the individual nodules.

flyplainsdrifta

Magic EcoBlock, LexJet satin poster paper (same as HP premium poster paper), HP satin wrapping paper, and LexJet production display film (2 sided smooth pet) all show the scuffs the worst, but they're visible on release liners of other materials as well.

I measured the space between the scuffs - 7/8in - which is the same distance between each of the platen ridges.

I know the ridges are in a slight wave pattern but I think they wave is slight enough that the scuff just reads as a single thick mark as opposed to a row of little scuffs caused by the individual nodules.

yeahh ive seen this when running 2 sided prints and generally on the backs of most medias. can try playing with the vac but with the r2r set up, that tension will always be there imo.

JPR-5690

How old is that material? It looks cloudy.

Brand new. I think it looks cloudy because its coated paper and not a vinyl/synthetic material. Its also been moved around a lot at this point because who really has a flat surface that they aren't using :)

I also forget what settings used for that print. It was my first time using this material so I could have had the heat too high or something.

Brandon708

I've noticed this on the back side of paper materials and on some liners (not printed side) I always figured it was the rollers making those marks before the print. The only material I print double sided is 18oz banner and I don't see them on either side of the print when the banners come out.

ikarasu

I've only ever noticed it when printing on material with plastic backers... Such as 3M 8518 overlam. Never seen it on paper... But we don't do much double sided printing, so I don't know if it's a common issue or not.

Turning the vacuum down should help, though.

Jack Knight1979

I agree with the vacuum level being set to aggressively. Finding the perfect balance between heat/vacuum can be tricky. If you've ramped up the vacuum to prevent head strikes because the media is buckling, turn down the heat in ten degree increments. If you find a sweet spot on vacuum, but now the ink isn't fully curing, you'll have to increase the amount of head passes so the ink will dwell in the post curing air curtain area for a longer duration.