• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

HP Announce R Series Flatbed Latex printer

Hotspur

What is the HP Latex R Series?
HP will launch at FESPA a new rigid printer, the Latex R-series, that will feature a ‘newly formulated for rigid’ latex ink.

Where can I see it?
The HP Latex R Series will make a public debut on the HP stand (Hall 3.2 Stand C20) on May 15th at FESPA in Berlin, Germany.

When can I buy one?
The HP Latex R Series will be available during Q3 of 2018

Is it a new latex ink formulation?
Yes, this is a new latex ink formulated specifically for rigid printing and these inks will be competitively priced versus UV.

How about ink durability on rigid materials?
A new ‘overcoat’ technology will allow durability that will meet or exceed that currently provided by UV inks. It’s important to note that this ‘overcoat’ is not a post treatment or a varnish, rather it is an integral part of the new ink formulation.

So here, without further ado, is the HP Latex R Series press release in full…

• First true hybrid HP Latex Printing technology, offering both flexible and rigid printing with HP Latex Inks
  • Introduces HP’s White Latex Ink, an industry breakthrough
  • First solution to produce totally odorless flexible and rigid prints with eco-friendly, Original HP Latex water-based inks
  • Enables Print Service Providers to expand their offering and enter new markets
Today at ISA Sign Expo, HP Inc. announced the HP Latex R Series, HP’s first latex technology capable of printing on flexible and rigid materials with HP Latex Ink. The HP Latex R Series brings the most vibrant colors into the rigid printing world, and pioneers white ink capabilities with the introduction of HP Latex White Ink.

Equipped with a single, six-color ink set, the HP Latex R Series technology delivers unprecedented quality at speed, and is the first, true hybrid latex technology that merges HP’s renowned flexible printing capabilities into rigid printing.

The HP Latex R series brings unparalleled quality to a wide range of rigid materials, such as foamboards, foam PVC, cardboard, fluted polypropylene, solid plastics, aluminum, wood and glass among others. Unlike UV printing technology, which creates a thick layer of ink that completely covers the material and requires time to dry, HP’s water-based Latex Inks preserve the look and feel of the media, and delivers odorless prints that are both safe for the environment and the printer operator.

“The HP Latex R Series is remarkable for setting up new industry standards in quality and enabling Print Service Providers to produce stunning rigid and flexible prints,” said Joan Perez Pericot, General Manager, Graphic Solutions Business, HP Inc. “Our customers can expand their offering into new, high-value applications while also opening fresh creative ideas and concepts for sign and display that provide their users greater value.”

Tackling one of the industry’s most pervasive limitations in printing, HP’s White Latex Ink has an innovative system that recirculates the white ink – both within the ink delivery system and at the printhead – to avoid settling. It also has a unique storage system with automatic agitation for when the ink is not being used to minimize waste. For the first time, HP’s innovative White Latex Ink delivers glossy, high-quality “true white” that doesn’t yellow over time like traditional UV-based white ink does.

“White ink has been a consistent problem for the industry. Traditionally it uses bigger and heavier pigment particles that frequently clog printheads, or the opaque mixture becomes separated and settles to the bottom of the ink reservoir. Until now, physically shaking the reservoirs often has been the necessary solution,” said Thom Brown, Chief Inkologist at HP. “Through HP’s investment in innovation around chemistry and engineering, the white ink solution with the HP Latex R Series is an industry breakthrough.”

johnnysigns

There's been whispers about this for a bit. Looks like big markdowns on their hybrid UVs will be coming to clear inventory.

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
This is cool but there are a lot of misleading facts in this marketing write up. They say UV inks have to dry? Not true at all. Having a re-circulation pump and agitation system is somehow a new innovative thing? I'll be interested to see it but HP is always stretching the truth in their marketing strategy. Just like when they introduced latex and said solvent inks require a coating on the vinyl to print. Absolute rubbish.

Hotspur

This is cool but there are a lot of misleading facts in this marketing write up. They say UV inks have to dry? Not true at all. Having a re-circulation pump and agitation system is somehow a new innovative thing? I'll be interested to see it but HP is always stretching the truth in their marketing strategy. Just like when they introduced latex and said solvent inks require a coating on the vinyl to print. Absolute rubbish.
I’d like to see one manufacturer who didn’t stretch the truth in their marketing!
They mean ‘cure’ rather than ‘dry’ I guess - referring to the 24 hour cross-linking reaction that takes place after printing.
Also treatment of white is certainly different - there is no purging of white ink at all through the head when not in use so no wastage even though the white is still loaded in the printer. I can use an entire white cart in an FB without printing a thing over the course of a few months just through purging.
Don’t remember them saying solvent needed coated vinyl to print on at launch - be great if you could dig such a quote up it would be funny to tease them with that! However I do remember them saying solvent needed coated paper - maybe this was lost in the mists of time?

jasonx

What will be interesting is the print speeds in terms of the substrate. Printing polypropylene plastic materials at the moment requires more passes and slower speeds to get the curing on the substrate. Wonder if this is going to translate over to rigid substrates. Be interesting to see the curing zone versus the current 3X00 series as well. Also, a lot of paper substrates require the tension of the 3X00 setup so going to be interesting to see how the machine holds done the substrate during curing.

Can't wait to see it.

CanuckSigns

I was always under the impression that heat was the enemy with flatbeds especially with pvc, styrene and coro. I'll be interested to see how they deal with curing the latex inks without warping the hell out of the substrates.

particleman

I'm not totally buying the hype at this point. The white seems nice but history has shown us a game changing v1 tech always has teething issues. I'm thinking sort of like what Gerber did with their solara ion, new innovative ink type but it came with lots of weird issues after people started seeing prints a year later.

I am a fan of the disposable print heads on latex machines so that would be a plus. I'll be curious what electrical requirements it has as well. I have a latex machine, but lets be honest it isn't a silver bullet, there are things you still can't print on with it. It will be interesting to see what HP has done here, but I'll reserve final judgement for the actual release.

CanuckSigns

I'm not totally buying the hype at this point. The white seems nice but history has shown us a game changing v1 tech always has teething issues. I'm thinking sort of like what Gerber did with their solara ion, new innovative ink type but it came with lots of weird issues after people started seeing prints a year later.

I am a fan of the disposable print heads on latex machines so that would be a plus. I'll be curious what electrical requirements it has as well. I have a latex machine, but lets be honest it isn't a silver bullet, there are things you still can't print on with it. It will be interesting to see what HP has done here, but I'll reserve final judgement for the actual release.

Did HP say this machine will use the disposable printheads, I did't see that. again I think the big issue here will be curing the ink, traditionally latex needs tons of heat to cure, on a flatbed heat=warping=headstrikes. Hey wait a minute, maybe that's it, throw the print heads away every time you get a headstrike!

particleman

I don't think it is official information but I've heard it since the show started, so take with a grain of salt. It would only be logical that the heads would remove since it is based on the latex tech. Being able to remove white print heads would be yet another selling point. It is just the reality of using UV if you are running metal or something really rigid you're going to get head strikes from time to time. It would be nice to pay $100 or so instead of $1,000 (and no tech!)

Hotspur

Did HP say this machine will use the disposable printheads, I did't see that. again I think the big issue here will be curing the ink, traditionally latex needs tons of heat to cure, on a flatbed heat=warping=headstrikes. Hey wait a minute, maybe that's it, throw the print heads away every time you get a headstrike!
As stated above this is a new latex formulation - new polymer - v4 ink and thus has the ability to cope with all the problematic substrates without warping.

Hotspur

I guess it’s easy to get lost in all the clever new technology that this represents but none of this is as important as the crucial factor here - a completely new type of image look & feel Vs any uv system. It’s the output that will sell these not the tech. Typical high IQ at fast speed is a latex trademark but it’s the finish that is unusual - totally respecting the gloss or Matt surface and no raised ink / banding means you cannot tell if a b&w image uses black ink on white substrate or vice versa. Also comes with a huge gamut vs any UV ink. This machine is all about image quality at high speed - the new tech is just the means to an end.

OzarkDigital

Gents and Ladies: I SAW the infamous HP LochNess printers a few hours ago, by invitation, in a private HP suite at ISA Orlando.

They made us sign a non-disclosure document on specs, photos, details, capabilities, speed, pricing, availability, etc.

They did NOT forbid us from sharing general impressions and "feelings".

I WAS BLOWN AWAY.
REVOLUTIONARY.
STUNNING.
NEAR ORGASMIC.

And in my 50+ years, I've seen (and even shamefully executed, in a prior life,) the best smoke and mirrors misleading product demos ever concocted!

- This was no smoke.
- This was no mirrors.
- We left our foggy breath on them ...we were that close.
- Was a very hands on, intimate session ... we were touching machines and prints!
- I CANNOT disclose anything more until May 15 at FESPA.

Based on everything we saw, everything they said, and the literally 60 very tough questions they allowed us to ask, I could answer every one of your questions above...but can't until May 15th. We covered questions on gamut, RIP, maintenance, costs per SF, substrates, speed, resolution, white ink issues, stability, training, HP Commitment, ink formulations, outdoor longevity, lamination-ability, delivery, pricing, power, cooling, alignment, registration and many more ...everything was laid out right there.

BUT FlyPlainsDrifta is very accurate: It was siiiicccckkkk!

That's not an NDA-forbidden Tech Spec ... That's a gleeful emotion...and we can't WAIT to buy one!!!

Let's stay in touch on this very real, very viable solution from a very reliable vendor.

https://dms.licdn.com/playback/C4D0...t=RenWhP_kPQOxTsud40CvCvQQsXpmDEhfJUZQI-N_1O0

Last edited: