• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

hp backlit material flaking

tgraphic

we are printing onto Hp Backlit material from our L260. Using the HP profile through Onyx. After we trim the backlit there is flaking along the edges sometimes. Is it a profile issue?

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Sounds more like an adhesion problem, which could result from poor profiling. More likely the ink adhesion or lamps or both.

chafro

Yes HP backlight is crap. It hold ink very good but it flakes bad.

it is the coating that has the adhesition problem not the ink.

your solution is to buy other brand of backlight.

AF

I have the same printer and same backlit material. The trick is to laminate it before cutting to final size. And for the record, it is the coating that flakes off.

Hotspur

Agreed - its the material not the ink

For the record many aqueous backlits are like this - the best similar product we have found is Intelicoat SBL7.

tgraphic

thanks for the feedback. you would think that the manufacturer of the printer would have the best substrate for it. guess not.

AF

thanks for the feedback. you would think that the manufacturer of the printer would have the best substrate for it. guess not.

I think that HP offers "usable" substrates but they are far from the best-in-class substrates available. The third party media market is a good thing for pushing out higher quality products. HP does offer high quality generic profiles for their media, so for some people this fact can be important.