• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

HP Designjet 6100ps

3Dsigns

Guy has a 60'' Designjet 6100ps in his shop. Wants $450 for it. comes with a "US Cutter" 50'' plotter and some ink cartridges. Says I can try it out first. Would you touch it?

Sindex Printing

It would depend on what you are trying to produce. I would make sure the nozzle checks and the printer is in good shape overall. It would be good for something to start out with and get started in large format printing.

I started with a canon ipf8400 when I first started getting into the market. Then customer demands went to a Mutoh 1204, with a graphtec plotter (currently still running) and just purchased a mutoh 1638uh uv hybrid printer for direct to board signs. Remember you always have to start somewhere in a market.

kanini

The Designjet Z-series is excellent for printing high quality on paper etc. but is not working with sign vinyl. It has pigment inks which are somewhat water/uv resistant but not anywhere close to a latex or eco-solvent. If you are doing indoor stuff such as photo enlargements, wallpaper(?), canvas, indoor self adhesive stuff, photos etc. then it's a great machine and for that price if it's working and not too old it can be great. You need to use material made for water based printing.
If you are planning on doing signs, decals and other stuff for outdoor use then it's the wrong machine.

SheBeau

Wow. If it’s in good working condition, that’s a heck of a good price, even without the cutter thrown in. It’s hard to find one less than a few thousand dollars. It’s worth it just to HAVE for indoor or short term outdoor prints like Tyvek banners or laminated yard signs. As Kanini stated, it cannot be used to print on vinyl film which is necessary for permanent outdoor signage. It can, however be printed on vinyl manufactured for aqueous printers and then applied to, say, refrigerator magnets, or laminated and used for shorter term car magnets. As already mentioned, it’s wonderful for all indoor applications with a wide variety of papers, vinyls, films, adhesive backs, canvas, etc. available. Or, just re-sell it for a profit!

Carlos Valencia

Guy has a 60'' Designjet 6100ps in his shop. Wants $450 for it. comes with a "US Cutter" 50'' plotter and some ink cartridges. Says I can try it out first. Would you touch it?
Those are great units for mostly interior prints. Canvas, photos, etc. they actually accept like over 30 media types. they are easy to use and maintain. He is basically giving it away.

Last edited by a moderator:

3Dsigns

Those are great units for mostly interior prints. Canvas, photos, etc. they actually accept like over 30 media types. they are easy to use and maintain. He is basically giving it away.
Since the hurricane, this place is a wreck. Thousands, probably millions of trees down; with some whole forests laid waste. For the past two months I have been selling "root grapples" which all started when I bought one to clean up my own property and it ended up not fitting my tractor. I put the thing out by the highway and sold it the next day, so I called the original seller and got set up as a skidsteer attachment dealer......the sign and grapple store lol. Anyway a customer ( a local doctor) came in yesterday, mentioned he had this printer he would be willing to trade for a skid steer adapter (worth about $450) That's why I said it would cost me about $450. I am mostly interested in a printer for making outdoor signs but I may go ahead and trade for this one to get me started and possibly resell it.....since I'm now delving into retail anyway. lol