• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

HP Designjet L25500 Printhead Errors

Logie_Bear

Hey guys,

My uncle runs a small printing operation and has an HP DesignJet L25500 that he is having a hard time with.

Whenever the printer boots it eventually comes to a screen that says “Printhead replacement incomplete. Restart it”

Whenever you try to go through the menu and do a printhead replacement it exhibits odd behavior.

So there are 6 printheads and only slots 1 and 3 will register that a printhead is even plugged into the slot. You can take the “recognized/good” cartridge from slot 1 and put it into slot 2 and it doesn’t recognize it. Same thing with slot 3. No slot other than 1 or 3 even acts like anything is plugged in. We never get a “beep” when you plug the cartridge in.

I’ve tried updating the firmware to the latest version. We’ve very thoroughly cleaned the printheads and the slots they sit in with the HP cleaning kit. I’ve lightly pushed on the back of the slot with an eraser and they are all responsive/springy. I’ve tried resetting the eeprom on the printer.

I’m really at a loss here on what to suggest he try next. I’d suggest new printheads but I can’t see how that would solve the issue since the same printhead that will get recognized in slot 1 won’t do that in slot 2.

Apparently the belt on the printer broke and they had to replace that. The printer sat dormant for quite some time during that project. They feel quite confident they have everything back the way it was and the new belt functions properly.

Any suggestions? I hate having to tell him to call and have an HP tech come on site. Thanks so much.

Christian @ 2CT Media

Have you tried cleaning the contacts on the carriage for each head. Also those contacts slip down over time, we used to have to push down on the ribbon on top of the carriage which made the contacts come up a little to fully contact the print head. If I still had a l25500 I would make a video to show you.

I know someone else here had a similar issue and maybe they can show you the process I poorly described.