• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

HP FB550 said 0% ink but bag still have a lot of ink...

Hi everyone,

We own a FB550 around 2 years ago and we have been noticing that it's asking for new ink but when we replace it the box still have some weight. We decide to open the box and inside the bag has a lot of ink. My concern is:
  1. Is there a way to use this ink? Let say using 2 bags to make one good one?
  2. The profile still work?
  3. How they measure how much ink is left? time? weight? pressure?
Thank you o_O

C

ColoPrinthead

HP Claims that they overfill the bags so that you won't run air through the heads. I was shocked at how much would be left ink the bag when I ran a 550.

greysquirrel

they absolutely overfill every bag. In the FB series they want to ensure that you get 3 liters from every box. The smart chip does not subtract any ink when the unit is serviced, or power off and vacuum is lost. The smart chips actually read and write...but cannot account for some ink lost during service

dobrien79

I got tired of how "full" the inks still were when printer said 0%, so I run them down once at 0 until the ink box feels quite light. Some inks get another week out of them. This was after getting our supplier to refund the ink not used (some were 50% approx) and they got tired of refunding. Don't do it with Y ink though as that's the only one that seems to actually have less ink so risk head running dry.

greysquirrel

the smart chip will run to -20ml....just make sure there is ink in the bag or you will cost yourself some money for a new pump, possible reservoir. And if you are opening the box, make sure to close it again...the light in your room will turn it to jelly using even more money to repair...in short, you bought 3L, you got 3 L of use...throw it away.

Make sense, the cost associated with replacing a pump didn’t worth the ink. Our case is that we don’t print much/ daily in the FB... The real solution y find more business making the ink residue a minor concern... I have bought entire ink boxes to then drain it in maintenance routines.. the idea is to print daily... Thanks everyone ✌

PrintItBig

We have a FB750.

When we first got it we used to switch the inks as soon as they said zero.

When we had an engineer visit I commented on how much ink was left in the bags and he told us to just run them until they're empty so that's what we've done. Sometimes we get a huge amount more printing out of them.

95% of the time the profiler "runs out" and stops the printing before the actual ink does. This only happens at the end of a job though not half way through.

The other 5% the ink runs out and potentially ruins the job being printed so we're careful on the types of jobs we're running when the ink is low. This has never caused us an issue with the printer itself though. We just change the ink, do a purge and we're back up and running. I've never noticed any adverse effects. Should we not be doing this?

dasigndr

Premium Subscriber
I got tired of how "full" the inks still were when printer said 0%, so I run them down once at 0 until the ink box feels quite light. Some inks get another week out of them. This was after getting our supplier to refund the ink not used (some were 50% approx) and they got tired of refunding. Don't do it with Y ink though as that's the only one that seems to actually have less ink so risk head running dry.
I agree. there is way to much waste.
I throw away litres! Yes LITRES UPON LITRES in unused ink as well as wasted ink. It is sad to see my money go to waste like that!

Are other comment saying that you can still print even though the profiler is at 0%?