• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

HP ink profilers

dasigndr

Premium Subscriber
Hello, does anyone know where I can get just the ink profilers for my HP45500 printer? It uses HP788 inks. The problem is when you buy the litre box of ink it comes with a profiler chip but most of the time we are using up all the profiler but still have a lot of ink left in the box so we just plug in the new profiler and use up all the ink. This causes us to eventually have a full box of ink with no profiler.

I read somewhere that you can possibly bypass the profilers all together on the printer. iS THIS ACTUALLY POSSIBLE AND WHERE AND HOW CAN i DO THAT?

Would buy the profilers though if I could get them somewhere cheap!!!

Thanks in advance,
Dennis

greysquirrel

You cannot source profilers anywhere...HP bought Colorspan specifically for that technology. HP guarantees that you will be able to run 3liters of ink through your printer. They specifically add more to the box to cover any incidents like vacuum issues or services that waste ink that cannot be counted. You can run profilers to -20% but it is not advised because you can introduce air into the system...forcing you to re-fill heads wasting even more ink.
The ink is cheap enough when you are using UV...not sure why everyone feels the need to get every drop...

dasigndr

Premium Subscriber
You cannot source profilers anywhere...HP bought Colorspan specifically for that technology. HP guarantees that you will be able to run 3liters of ink through your printer. They specifically add more to the box to cover any incidents like vacuum issues or services that waste ink that cannot be counted. You can run profilers to -20% but it is not advised because you can introduce air into the system...forcing you to re-fill heads wasting even more ink.
The ink is cheap enough when you are using UV...not sure why everyone feels the need to get every drop...

EVERY DROP?????
I have inks that have 0% p[rofiler and the ink is still half full!!
AT $311 / litre I would say that is VERY VERY "FEEL THE NEED TO GET EVERY DROP!!"

greysquirrel

You are printing/purging what you are paying for...there is extra ink in the box beyond what you are paying for to enable you to have an accurate cost per sq'. The profiler will allow you to run its counter to -20% (negative...less than zero/20% more than you paid for)
So yes..."every drop" not worth risking your printer requiring a technician to come onsite to fix a failed pump that could dry out if box is empty or a damaged ink reservoir...

so to go back to your original question, "Can you buy profilers?" Not likely...but good luck with your search.

you have 1/2 full boxes of ink because you are using new profilers to get those precious drops...cut your losses...dump those boxes...next new box run to -15% and replace...

dasigndr

Premium Subscriber
You are printing/purging what you are paying for...there is extra ink in the box beyond what you are paying for to enable you to have an accurate cost per sq'. The profiler will allow you to run its counter to -20% (negative...less than zero/20% more than you paid for)
So yes..."every drop" not worth risking your printer requiring a technician to come onsite to fix a failed pump that could dry out if box is empty or a damaged ink reservoir...

so to go back to your original question, "Can you buy profilers?" Not likely...but good luck with your search.

you have 1/2 full boxes of ink because you are using new profilers to get those precious drops...cut your losses...dump those boxes...next new box run to -15% and replace...

OK so how can I get the profiler to go to minus 0% (to -20% as you say)??
when it hits 0% the printer stops printing!!

GP_Oz

There are part numbers (see attached)..but I do not like your chances of being able to find in stock let alone able to purchase.
Having left over ink is a sign your system is not functioning well as they work on assumed values, ie. if it takes 100ml to purge but in reality only used 50ml, 100ml is taken off the count.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-07-24 at 11.10.40 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2016-07-24 at 11.10.40 AM.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 270

dasigndr

Premium Subscriber
I know this thread is two months old but did you ever find out where to get the profilers?

I had a company out of China contact me and said they can do them for $24 CDN ea. This is reasonable considering the amount of ink that is wasted. I have not had to get any done yet.

G3

I had a company out of China contact me and said they can do them for $24 CDN ea. This is reasonable considering the amount of ink that is wasted. I have not had to get any done yet.[/QUOTE

I was just getting ready to post my utter frustration of the fact that our FB500 ink profiler just read 0%, but the ink box is still half full! WE
DO NOT "mix & match" profilers. We normally dispose of the ink and start with the new box and profiler, BUT THESE INKS ARE RIDICULOUSLY EXPENSIVE! The explanations I have read so far sound like something straight out of an HP salesperson's mouth. There is no way a company is going to give you 50% more ink in a box FOR FREE, just to cover purges and other incidentals.

There must be a way to either bypass this crappy ink counting system or purchase inexpensive ink profilers from a third party.

G3

dasigndr

Premium Subscriber
We never did find any third party to reprogram these darn ink profilers. We just recently upgraded to a brand new HP FB750 which also has the darn profilers. I know, I can hear it now..."why the heck would you go buy another HP with the same darn profiler issues?"

Well we did look at all the possible options of other printers like...AGfa Annapurna (great machine, great quality but way to expensive), the Oce Arizona (great quality but no reasonably priced support and VERY Costly to repair and no head strike protection or redundancy system.)

HP had the best hands free maintenance system.

Still wasting alot of inks though. I just in the last 2 months alone have had to empty my waste ink reservoir and have watched over 2 Litres of ink go to waste both times. That is a lot of wasted ink and Money going down the drain.

Would love to hear if anyone finds a third party that could reprogram the profilers!!!

Turnergraphics

I had a problem early on of having too much ink left in the box. I called HP tech help and they sent me extra profilers for the 2 colors I was having trouble with. After a couple of uses of the profilers, the problem went away. Sometimes my printer will refuse to print when ink hits a certain level. Usually the ink level is low enough that I can justify plugging in a new box. Most of the time the printer allows me to swap out a new box when i want to, and I've determined that the optimum time to install a new box is at a weight of 1.5 pounds.

Russell

Hi,

I am not sure if you are still interested in the profilers?

We converted a customers HP FB500 to run with other inks. The profilers and inks worked well but the customer eventually sold the machine.

Now I have around 15 profilers in stock. HP was never very successful with these machines I doubt if there were more than 3-4 in the city.

Let me know if you are interested. I would like to get my cost back on them.