• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

HP L25500 Pros and Cons?

HollySheps

Hi everyone,

I know there has been a lot disccussed on here about the HP L25500, but I am trying to get a clear idea on what the pros and cons are with this printer, from people who own one.

We are looking to bring on another printer (currently run the Mimaki JV33), and are seriously considering the HP L25500.

Any feedback for me?

Thank you!

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but the HP L25500 is no longer available (new), but the good news is that there is a new model, called the L26500 that should begin shipping later this month. List price is $2,000 more than the L25500.

RobbyMac

Not only is not not available, but apparently neither are parts.

We went to order new end hubs for our take up reel (seeing as how 2/3 of the 'fingers' have snapped off in less than 8 months) and were told by HP that they no longer stock these. We have to find a 3rd party to sell them to us.

When we asked 'well whats different with the new take up system on the 26500? is it possible to use the hubs from it?' the tech replied 'I don't know'.

Weeeeeeee.

Dave Rowland

The good news it does print when u want, but the bad news is that it requires a lot of heat. However the new one has better heater elements and ink chemistry so I beleive it is a much better machine.

The JV33 was same price, it is amazing print quality.

If you got a JV33 and familar with it and you really need another printer, I would be tempted with another JV33 for matching reasons and run it all off the same RIP solution.

Nothing like having a matched backup

Owner of L25500, AGFA M2050 and ex JV3-160S owner

HollySheps

Thanks for the replies... up in Canada they still have a few left in stock from a dealer. We've heard the difference between the 25500 and the 26500 are minimal.

The dealer also apparently is able to access the parts too, which is good!

HollySheps

@Dave Rowland - that is exactly what we are grappling with right now! Whether to just get another Mimaki. But we have had major banding issues with the Mimaki that no one seems to be able to fix.
Plus the idea of moving from solvent to latex is tempting too...
So hard to decide!!

Bly

Pros: They do a better job on backlit films than solvent. They can print on waterbased and even uncoated papers. Everything is dry immediately.
Unlaminated contour cut stickers don't curl on the edge. Great web based info like exact amount of ink used per job.
Cons: Overly complicated, noisy, hot. Some media can't take the heat. Slow on some media.

Dave Rowland

there is no banding as such on the L25500, it has a movement sensor

weight of rolls effect banding.. and many other reasons.

BigfishDM

Merchant Member
I didn't realize they still had some left up here.

If you don't mind me asking....what are they selling them for? You can PM me if you prefer not to say in the open forums.

:thankyou::Canada 2:

Pat I can get you one out there if your interested, you would have to act fast though. I will PM you now.

Desert_Signs

We went to order new end hubs for our take up reel (seeing as how 2/3 of the 'fingers' have snapped off in less than 8 months) and were told by HP that they no longer stock these. We have to find a 3rd party to sell them to us.

When we asked 'well whats different with the new take up system on the 26500? is it possible to use the hubs from it?' the tech replied 'I don't know'.

Weeeeeeee.

What are you guys doing to snap off the fingers? We load and unload our take up reel 5-6 times a day, or more, and have never broken even one. And we've had our 25500 since Oct. 09. I'm trying to picture how that could even happen. I'd like to avoid making the same mistake!

RobbyMac

What are you guys doing to snap off the fingers? We load and unload our take up reel 5-6 times a day, or more, and have never broken even one. And we've had our 25500 since Oct. 09. I'm trying to picture how that could even happen. I'd like to avoid making the same mistake!

I have no idea. When we first got it and used it (Back in January), we noticed that we shouldn't really tighten the hub much because it was difficult to loosen the hub nut. So after that we never really tightened down on it very much at all. No damage or fingers were missing then. A few months later a member here gave me the idea to use rubber bands on the coreplugs to help the core grip, but this doesn't really affect the fingers.
By June, we noticed that it wasn't tightening very well at all, and that some of the fingers were missing.
Now many of them are gone. Noone seems to recall any of them snapping off, or finding them lying on the floor etc...
I'm not at the shop but will take pictures on Monday. The black plug (Right side) is still fine, because it is rarely removed/moved. So it's got to be something with removing/tightening.

Hicalibersigns

We have had our L25500 for 8 months. We were about to buy a Roland but switched to the HP at the last minute. Here are the pluses as I see them.

Very minimal maintenance.
Heads are user changeable and not terribly expensive.
No out gas before lamination.
Great print quality.
Can be shut down for extended periods with no ill effects.
Has a built in take up system.
Great statistics. Tells you how much ink is used by each job and lots more.
Our experience with warranty service has been spectacular. We had a head failure. The display told us that it was in warranty. We called and they sent us a complete set of heads...no charge.
The much talked about "heat issue" is really not an issue.

This has been a great machine for us. Couldn't be more pleased.

Desert_Signs

The black plug (Right side) is still fine, because it is rarely removed/moved. So it's got to be something with removing/tightening.

Maybe that's it? We never tighten the blue one, and only loosen the black one when we're running 60", which isn't that often. I set the "tightness" of the blue to be loosely snug (if that makes sense) and we just slide it off and on. Never had any issues with cores coming loose.

I hope you figure it out!

GB2

Old Member
Pros: They do a better job on backlit films than solvent.

I was wondering if you could give me a little more detail on that since I find printing on translucent materials to be one of the weak points of the latex printer.

HulkSmash

The latex is a great machine. It's a work horse. we run it 8 - 10 hrs a day.. straight.. no problems. You have to get the right rip.. in my opinion flexi has not been able to properly sync with the latex... i mean it works.. but it's missing the MANY options that other rips offer...

a few things i wish you can do on the latex -
-adjust heat settings while it's printing..
-You didn't have to restart the printer everytime you run out of material because it treats it as a jam..
- i wish it had edge guards too.. that'd fix some headstrike issues people have on banners

Suz

Robby,
This worries me that we might not find parts for our printers so soon.
Looking forward to seeing your pics of the "fingers" you are talking about, or the part that has the fingers on the take up reel. I did find this, are these the parts you are talking about?:

http://tycad.en.alibaba.com/viewimg...945/Take_up_reel_spindle_hubs_Q6706_60901.jpg

Weeeeeeee.

Bly

I was wondering if you could give me a little more detail on that since I find printing on translucent materials to be one of the weak points of the latex printer.

The canned Onyx profile on solvent backlit film and vinyl.
We had to adjust the heat settings a bit to get ink to dry properly but we find the blacks dense and colours vibrant.
What problems are you having?

GB2

Old Member
The canned Onyx profile on solvent backlit film and vinyl.
We had to adjust the heat settings a bit to get ink to dry properly but we find the blacks dense and colours vibrant.
What problems are you having?
Well, previously with my Mimaki solvent printer, whenever I printed translucent materials I employed the double ink feature for good solid coverage that looked great when lighted. With the latex I haven't found any way to put down a heavy coat of ink and the resulting prints look a little washed out when lighted. I'm using the Flexi rip.

Bly

Well, previously with my Mimaki solvent printer, whenever I printed translucent materials I employed the double ink feature for good solid coverage that looked great when lighted. With the latex I haven't found any way to put down a heavy coat of ink and the resulting prints look a little washed out when lighted. I'm using the Flexi rip.

You need to scout around for a better profile.
The one I use has no ink restrictions and 400% ink limits so it's using the maximum ink available.