• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

HP L25500 says "Substrate has not been fully removed" but there's nothing in it.

stickersmc

HP L25500 says "Substrate has not been fully removed" but there's nothing in it. No vinyl, no vinyl jam, no nothing... and there's nowhere to tell it to just load, because it thinks there's something still there. I've unplugged, I've run the file system/restart (whatever it is) and every time it turns back on it says the same thing... "Substrate has not been fully removed." At this point I can't load anything into the printer to produce anymore... my business is at a standstill. Anyone have a remedy for this or had the same problem in the past?

Thanks ahead of time!
Mike

Christian @ 2CT Media

It sounds like either something is stuck over the sensor or you may have a hang in the firmware.

I would open the platen lever and slip a piece of material in and out to try to free up anything stuck in there, if that doesn't work reload the firmware through the web server.

stickersmc

It sounds like either something is stuck over the sensor or you may have a hang in the firmware.

I would open the platen lever and slip a piece of material in and out to try to free up anything stuck in there, if that doesn't work reload the firmware through the web server.

Nothing stuck in there at all, I've done all I can to make sure of it. However, the firmware might be the answer... but I haven't a clue how to do that or where to go to get it. If it's a fairly easy explanation, I would love the help. If not, I'll do my best to search it out, but either way I appreciate the reply!

I'd bet something is stuck on a sensor....but, for the firmware update, super easy. Open IE (only works in IE) and put in the IP address of your printer. That's the web based dashboard, there are links there to DL the firmware update and install. It's point and click. The firmware update link is in the setup tab.

Desert_Signs

I'd bet something is stuck on a sensor....but, for the firmware update, super easy. Open IE (only works in IE) and put in the IP address of your printer. That's the web based dashboard, there are links there to DL the firmware update and install. It's point and click. The firmware update link is in the setup tab.

It works in Safari and maybe Chrome, IIRC, if you're running a Mac.

FrankW

The media presence sensor is a little lever in the paper way, around 20cm from the right. This lever is hold by a spring which could hang out, than the lever will not move upwards again when the media is unloaded. In this case the printer won't recognize when the media is removed.

This complete switch can be removed and inspected from below the media inlet. For easy access I would recommend to remove the Roller in front of the media inlet (there is a lever too on the right side).

stickersmc

Media Presence Sensor was correct! I kept looking at the sensors above because I couldn't find the one underneath. A little further investigation, thanks to those who explained where to look, and there it was. I took it down and sure enough, that did the trick. I ordered a new one just in case, but it's working fine at the moment as I switch it back & forth by hand.

Thank you all for the help!

Cheezdog55

The media presence sensor is a little lever in the paper way, around 20cm from the right. This lever is hold by a spring which could hang out, than the lever will not move upwards again when the media is unloaded. In this case the printer won't recognize when the media is removed.

This complete switch can be removed and inspected from below the media inlet. For easy access I would recommend to remove the Roller in front of the media inlet (there is a lever too on the right side).

Ian Stewart-Koster

Older Greyer Brushie
Reseating that spring can be an ordeal till you fluke it, if you've not seen how it is supposed to look...
The spring works in both directions, you see...
Technically, it's a Hall-effect sensor, that senses a magnetic field in the coil, as the plastic arm moves the other end through the gap.