• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

HP L260 - Error 86:01 Substrate Jam

Andrew Signs

Hi all,

I did a quick search and couldn't really find much on this one.

Ok, on of HPl260 is having this issue around substrate jam even with no material.

Summary:

- Wont complete start up
- Jams about 1 minute in just to the left of home (look at the printer) and we can see the cart in the window

What we have done:

- Everything is clean
- Belt is good
- Lubricant on all rails
- Cleaned out the channel behind the cart that has build up
- Full power down/on several times

Outcome:

- Yesterday when the problem started we put the printer in the maintenance mode and did a Scan axis test
- Several fails
- What we found was that is was never finding middle and therefore failing on the bumps, to short as a outcome
- If we manually made it middle it worked
- We managed to clear the code and restart printing.

Today

- Printer auto sleeps over night once finished
- Now we are back to square one with the same issue.

Does anyone have any pointers on this one as its left me confused. If seems hard to think its hardware when yesterday we cleared it and it printed 25 Metres with ease.

It feels like it's have some sort of electrical glitch?

Open to anyones ideas?

Thanks!

ikarasu

Have you cleaned your encoder strip? We had the same issue after it was telling us to clean the encoder strip for a week. It'd randomly throw 86:01. A new encoder strip and sensor fixed it.

Grimco told us we needed to replace the strip and the scan axis motor as that code generally.means both are bad. We haven't replaced our scan axis motor.... I still get the clean encoder strip error once in awhile, but it's never error ed out on me since.

Through all my research.... At least on the 560, there's a screw on the right side that tightens the plastic belt. If it's too tight, the motor will throw that error. You could try that as well.

Power it off when it's not capped and see if the carriage can move freely or if you feel resistance. That'll give you an idea if the belt is too tight or the motors seizing.

It's always best to have a tech out. These are things I did to fix the error... It may or may not work for you. I had my machine in 20 pieces before I out it back together... It definately wasn't fun!

Andrew Signs

Thanks ikarasu! Appreciate the help

To add to the original post and notes we just did a run through to test what you said.

It seems to me that when we run the scan access test and it fails (or on start up) the cart moves manually but until powered off there is bit of resistance. Not sure if this is normal or not?

Im still confused why when we run the test it can't find middle which seems to be there a large part of the issue getting part the left/right bump is...

Dan360

Turn it off, lube the rail and move the carriage back and forth manually. Do this several times.

I couldn't figure out why ours was throwing the error, everything seemed fine. I had to lube the crap out of it and it was fine after.

Other causes could be scan axis motor, encoder strip, encoder sensor and we've had a faulty maintenance cartridge cause the error as well.

Chrxs

Turn it off, lube the rail and move the carriage back and forth manually. Do this several times.

I couldn't figure out why ours was throwing the error, everything seemed fine. I had to lube the crap out of it and it was fine after.

Other causes could be scan axis motor, encoder strip, encoder sensor and we've had a faulty maintenance cartridge cause the error as well.

If the problems are still there after troubleshooting above please inspect the encoder strip if it's damaged!