• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

HP L28500 Question...

Andrew Signs

Hi All,

Very difficult to find information about the larger of the HP machines as I guess not as many use them.

I have a L28500 that was being used and hadn't for a few months after an error. Would like to see if we can get some use out of it before throwing it out as it seems a waste.

Ok, Issue & Information

- Powers up. Blue light on back and front screen HP logo
- Goes through process as normal, on set up at 32% throws error
- Erros is 03:10.
- If you view the more detailed error is has;

Error Code: 0x10303001
Severity: Error
File:
86-opt/elektra/hal/sensors/PowerSuppy/PowerSupplyDragonkhan.cpp
Line number: 324

Thoughts

- That error points to PSU or PrintMech PCA from my research online, although no one has really said it fixed it
- Previously it was reported to me that is was one of the Heat sensors (IR ones just about drying fans and one is lift top)

Whats interesting is that on boot up just before 32% is when the small fan kicks on above the IR heat sensor just about the drying fans. Does anyone have any light to shed on this? Also, I'm wondering if I switch the two sensors over at the other end of the machine were they plug in if that will get me any closer to narrowing it. I would like to test if that sensor is triggering something that not allowing it to boot, or if I can remove it from being part of the boot.

If anyone is confident is the PSU or PrintMech is there anyway to cross check before I replace it.

Thanks, if anyone needs more information please let me know!

balstestrat

Problem Solver
I recommend you to get the service manual, it gets handy.
You can see the complete instructions of the error and the boot order as well.
You can always try to debug by disconnecting parts and seeing if that changes the error and by seeing the boot order you can figure things out.

StephenOrange

Eater of cake. Maker of .
Do you have a copy of the technician's manual? If not I can assist you with a copy as long as it's not against the rules of the administrators (bit of a newbee on the forums).

MelloImagingTechnologies

Many years in the Production Business
Someone gave me a 28500 as a trade in years ago and I was going to throw away.
I took the back covers off and tested electrical and found the circuit breaker was malfunctioning.
Couldn't get one from HP so I googled the name that was on breaker and found a replacement online.
Cost me $150 and instead of throwing it away, I sold it on ebay for $9000.
Bruce

Andrew Signs

Thanks everyone for the help.

Yes I have a copy of the service manual. if I check the code as above it points to the PSU no matter what way I look at it.

I have tried to power with certain things removed as well to try and isolate.

Would it make sense a PSU is broken if its fan still runs on power up?

Andrew Signs

Thanks JBurton.

I agree with you and the service manual points to replacing the PSU. Ive already ordered one so we shall see I guess.

Would love to know anyones input on how/if I can test that the PSU under the load at the 32% is failing. Presuming that at that point its dealing with he heaters/ir in some fashion and the loads too much for the PSU with the issues?

Or am I way off?

dale911

President
These machines have 3 PSU. It’s really a single phase machine that they have setup in 3 phase typically so that you can run smaller wire to it. Check all 3 supplies and know that even if the heater units and such aren’t heating up, the power supplies are sending power to them....don’t ask me how I know that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Andrew Signs

Thanks dale911.

Ok, so if I manage to work out how to check power is going out to each unit (heaters etc) were does that leave me? Im only really working off the service manual which says 03:10 is replace PSU and shows the procedure which is the main unit were the black lead/switch is plugged in...

---

Also, does anyone know what the below means?

86-opt/elektra/hal/sensors/PowerSuppy/PowerSupplyDragonkhan.cpp

Andrew Signs

Also - the only other thing the service manual notes is the possible issue with the Print Mech board.

if there any way to test if there is any issues with it or just a case of replacing? The service manual doesn't really talk about testing beyond if the blue light stays on the Print Mech may need to be replace.

StephenOrange

To be clear - have you booted into the advance service menu prior to the printer starting up. The mode allows for a massive array of component testing to be done by the printer itself.

StephenOrange

How do I do that StephenOrange? I know how to the other machines with physical buttons that you hold....

As you power on the printer all the lights will come on on the control panel for a few seconds. While they are all lit you need to press the following combination, one after the other -
Cancel (red X)
Home
Question/Help (?)

If you've done this correctly the printer will start up in Diagnostic mode, which gives you far more tools than the standard Maintenance mode combo (3174)

Andrew Signs

Ok, thanks! I'll give that a go. I'm familiar with the 260 etc so should be right to work it out.

Any pointers on what I should be testing/trying in the Diagnostic mode in this situation? Presuming I can test PSU and PrintMech in there...

StephenOrange

I can't recall exactly, but this is where the technicians manual comes in. Mine in busy printing a long run of PVC, so I can't even pop into the mode right now, but this mode will definitely be the point where I start to trouble-shoot.

StephenOrange

Stupid question - have you ensured your isolator switches on the rear panel are all in the on position? Your startup errors sounds fairly similar to having one of the rear switches in the tripped position. I know you're getting a specific message, but check the switches on the rear.

Andrew Signs

Thanks for all the help StephenOrange

I will have a play around with the Diagnostics mode today. Im 100% they switches are armed and on but probably worth putting a volt checker on them to make sure power is passing through.

Will do this morning and report back.

Andrew Signs

Ok, can confirm power is running through fuses and terminates correctly when switched.

Question - when I try to put the printer into Diagnostic Mode as above I'm having issues. When I do the sequence the icons flash and disappear. Following this the printer does its normal boot so it gets to 32% again and throws 03:10 error.

Thoughts?

EDIT - Just read the below so I'm presuming I can't enter the mode until I resolve the power up issue.

Entering the Diagnostics Menu

1. Make sure the printer is switched off with the Power key beside the Front Panel, and not with the power switch at the rear of the printer.

2. Press and release the Power key to switch on the printer.

3. Wait for about 10 seconds until the icons on the Front Panel appear, then press and release the

Cancel, Home, and Help icons one after another.

NOTE: Do not press the icons all at the same time: press each one in the order shown above and release each icon before pressing the next one.

4. The icons on the Front Panel blink four times. Wait until the printer completes the initialization sequence and shows the Diagnostics menu.