• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

HP L310 shutting down on long runs (Scan Axis Error)

303DC

Hello all. This damn printer... I'm about to light it on fire. Last spring when I was printing my first wrap on it, it would shut down about 15-18' in to a 20-25' job (full width). The first panel would print fine, but the second one would fail. This happened while it was still under warranty, and HP came out and replaced tons of stuff. Scan axis motor, power supply, you name it, they probably replaced it. Well, it still happened, and the last time they came out, I was able to do back to back panels without failure.

Fast forward to today. This printer was bought in August of 2015, so it's a little less than one and a half years old in a home office/shop with very limited use. It doesn't see the kind of volume as a regular print shop. I still maintain it regularly, and it's well taken care of (in my opinion). Well, the last time this was happening was back in like April/May. Now, January 2017, it's happening again. I just printed an 11' panel, then without letting it cool down, I started a new panel of exact same length, and it failed 26" short, with the same SCAN AXIS MOTOR error.

Can someone please tell me you have ran into this also? Is this a defect in the equipment they refused to accept responsibility for and now that I'm out of warranty I'm screwed? Am I missing something here? I'm located in Colorado where we have pretty much no humidity. Do I need a humidifier? I'm at a complete loss, and I can't keep eating these losses on very expensive cast wrapping material. Please help if you can. I'm open to listen to any ideas or suggestions. This is such a defeating feeling. :(

Thanks.

303DC

Bump for a question to anyone reading that may know... could having my vacuum max'd out cause this? I would think if that was the case, it would happen almost right away rather than 15-20' in to printing, no?

dypinc

Bump for a question to anyone reading that may know... could having my vacuum max'd out cause this? I would think if that was the case, it would happen almost right away rather than 15-20' in to printing, no?

What about your tension settings?

303DC

What about your tension settings?
As embarrassing as this is to admit, I'm not sure what you are referring to, but I would be very interested in knowing! Something I failed to mention is that RIGHT before it fails and this happens, the printer makes a loud thumping noise before the carriage assembly makes a pass. It'll do this 5-10 times then fail.

dypinc

As embarrassing as this is to admit, I'm not sure what you are referring to, but I would be very interested in knowing! Something I failed to mention is that RIGHT before it fails and this happens, the printer makes a loud thumping noise before the carriage assembly makes a pass. It'll do this 5-10 times then fail.

Sounds like a obstruction somewhere. Find where is the head at when it does this and check that area.

How often do you clean and oil your head carriage rails?

303DC

Sounds like a obstruction somewhere. Find where is the head at when it does this and check that area.

How often do you clean and oil your head carriage rails?
I can't find any obstructions anywhere. Keep in mind a tech was out here, and that this happens consistently at around 15-20'. An obstruction would imply to me that this would happen immediately, no? I clean and lubricate BOTH rails minimum of once a month, sometimes bi-weekly.

studebaker

Deluded Artist
Hello all. This damn printer... I'm about to light it on fire. Last spring when I was printing my first wrap on it, it would shut down about 15-18' in to a 20-25' job (full width). The first panel would print fine, but the second one would fail. This happened while it was still under warranty, and HP came out and replaced tons of stuff. Scan axis motor, power supply, you name it, they probably replaced it. Well, it still happened, and the last time they came out, I was able to do back to back panels without failure.

Fast forward to today. This printer was bought in August of 2015, so it's a little less than one and a half years old in a home office/shop with very limited use. It doesn't see the kind of volume as a regular print shop. I still maintain it regularly, and it's well taken care of (in my opinion). Well, the last time this was happening was back in like April/May. Now, January 2017, it's happening again. I just printed an 11' panel, then without letting it cool down, I started a new panel of exact same length, and it failed 26" short, with the same SCAN AXIS MOTOR error.

Can someone please tell me you have ran into this also? Is this a defect in the equipment they refused to accept responsibility for and now that I'm out of warranty I'm screwed? Am I missing something here? I'm located in Colorado where we have pretty much no humidity. Do I need a humidifier? I'm at a complete loss, and I can't keep eating these losses on very expensive cast wrapping material. Please help if you can. I'm open to listen to any ideas or suggestions. This is such a defeating feeling. :(

Thanks.

Actually, it's an error with the encoder strip. There is ink on the encoder strip that can't be seen, but it's causing an accumulating error that causes the scan to move microscopically to the left a little tiny bit with every pass. Then by the time 2000 passes have occurred, it is so far out of alignment to the left that it is hitting the end stop and causing the scan axis error.
Simply cleaning the scan axis encoder strip will fix the problem. HP sends a solution with their printer to do this, or use alcohol.

Scan Axis Error

Try to check:

1.) the carriage belt under the carriage station there is a clip who hold the belt
2.) the 2 mounting screw of the drive motor maybe lose
3.) check the belt itself maybe the grove have damage