• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

HP Latex 26500 - Help to Change belt?

dansmith

Hi, hope someone can help, I've got an HP Latex 26500 where the black carriage belt decided to break in the middle of a print. I've been quoted silly money to get this fixed. Does anyone have a straightforward set of instructions to change and retension a new belt?

Many thanks in advance

Ere

I have changed belts on many different HPs and Canons. The belt is usually around $75 the rest is labor for someone like me to come and replace it. Don’t be afraid it is just straight forward mechanical common sense. Anyone that can take things apart and put them back together can do it. Start your machine and as the print heads come across the middle of the printer unplug it. I know you might think don’t do it without shutting it down but this is how HP instructs techs to unlock the carriage for repair. Now you can slide the carriage back and forth. The carriage is the area the print heads sit in. Take the right cover off and figure it out. I charge $275 to walk in and say Hi. There are old machines out there that I am not factory trained on and I figure them out on the spot. Let me see. Take lots of photos before you take the areas you are concerned about apart. You can do it. It is just confidence in yourself or a friend that is mechanically inclined.

dansmith

I have changed belts on many different HPs and Canons. The belt is usually around $75 the rest is labor for someone like me to come and replace it. Don’t be afraid it is just straight forward mechanical common sense. Anyone that can take things apart and put them back together can do it. Start your machine and as the print heads come across the middle of the printer unplug it. I know you might think don’t do it without shutting it down but this is how HP instructs techs to unlock the carriage for repair. Now you can slide the carriage back and forth. The carriage is the area the print heads sit in. Take the right cover off and figure it out. I charge $275 to walk in and say Hi. There are old machines out there that I am not factory trained on and I figure them out on the spot. Let me see. Take lots of photos before you take the areas you are concerned about apart. You can do it. It is just confidence in yourself or a friend that is mechanically inclined.

Thanks, I'm based in the UK and am being quoted about £5-600 for the job with the belt costing over £250!

Any idea where I can get a cheap belt from and do you need to take the carriage off to fit it or does it work around?

Ere

Thanks, I'm based in the UK and am being quoted about £5-600 for the job with the belt costing over £250!

Any idea where I can get a cheap belt from and do you need to take the carriage off to fit it or does it work around?
I have never had to take carriage off. It usually slips into the carriage. I don’t know where you can get the belt in the UK. That sounds like too much to me. I will check

greysquirrel

Remove both covers, remive screw for encoder stop and remove encoder..careful not to bend or cough up $300 for new one. Remove belt tensioner scre2. Remove 4,screws on triangle side of rail to remove place remove bumper take belt off of brass gear..pull carriage toward you disconnect trailing cable(heads should have been removed at start) remove ink line assembly pull carriage off, remove old belt install new belt put all parts back