• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help HP Latex 315 and Avery Greenline GP3400

BostjanP

Hello,

I am new at this forum and maybe I did not manage to find answers for my problem.
I have bought new HP Latex 315 printer and I bought Avery Greenline GP3400 Gloss vinyl for making decals. Thing is that there is no profile on Avery site for my printer and I copied similar one, but print is not dry after it is finished and it scratches and goes off. I tried to dry it with heater/fan but no luck.
Do anyone uses this media on Latex printer?
Or know which parameters to use (optimizer, heat temperature,...)?

Thank you very much, Bostjan

Attachments

• 20181226_195310.jpg
    20181226_195310.jpg
    666.2 KB · Views: 285
  • 20181226_195213.jpg
    20181226_195213.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 282
Avery Greenline medias are non -inkjet coated polypropylene films. They are not presently listed on the HP Media Locator, but that does not mean that they are incompatible with HP Latex printers. I have run similar films with success, by using a relatively high pass count, combined with relatively low curing temperature and moderate ink density. The key with HP Latex is to craft balance between these three variables. Here is a video on this topic:

Any current HP Latex printer can be used for this, including those that lack the on-board spectrophotometer (the 115/ 315/ 335) - note that the ICC Profile will be auto-assigned by the printer, rather than custom-generated.

Last edited:

ikarasu

The GP 3400 is a non PVC Material. If it's anything like 3M's 480 material, it's likely not latex compatible.

3M Had to come out with a different version (Lx 480) And a solvent version SV 480, because the latex wasn't sticking to IJ480 properly, and it was very, very grainy. I don't see anything on the GP 3400 that says it works... Heck it doesn't even list solvent/Eco solvents. Just UV, Screen printing and offset... so I'm going to have to hazard a guess and say it's not latex compatible.

so far I've found any media that says it is Solvent compatible works on the Latex... Except for non PVC Media like SV480, or it's previous name before they made a seperate version for latex.. IJ 480. .

If you need non PVC for a specific application, I know LX-480 works great in Latex printers... but it is pretty pricey.

When 3M first came to market with IJ480, there was only one version of the product. It is an un-coated non-PVC film, and the initial version of the product was compatible with HP Latex, but was incompatible with most eco-solvent inks.

Some time later, 3M introduced a coated version of IJ480 to be used with eco-solvent printers, and called it SV480. At that time, they renamed the original un-coated product as LX480.

Here is a thread from late 2012 on the (then) new Envision 480 media:
https://signs101.com/threads/automark-the-definite-answer.101168/#post-1063442

HP Latex inks have always been compatible with a very wide range of both coated and un-coated media products, including polypropylene films. I will attempt to get a roll of the Avery Greenline media to test on current HP Latex printers.

Last edited:

BostjanP

Thank you all for your help.
Like I mentioned, I am quite new in this printing business
And I got the media for free from the seller, which sold me the printer, so I assumed it would work with it.
For first print I took a similar (MPI 3400/MPI 3401, 10 passes, 215°F) profile and the print looked dry, but it wasn't scratchresistant.
Then I tried to increase the temperature up to 240 °F (I assumed that ink just needs to be more dry), but I have never tried to lower the temperature and increase the passes (slower the speed).
I will try also this.

Last edited:

ikarasu

When 3M first came to market with IJ480, there was only one version of the product. It is an un-coated non-PVC film, and the initial version of the product was compatible with HP Latex, but was incompatible with most eco-solvent inks.

Some time later, 3M introduced a coated version of IJ480 to be used with eco-solvent printers, and called it SV480. At that time, they renamed the original un-coated product as LX480.

Here is a thread from late 2012 on the (then) new Envision 480 media:
https://signs101.com/threads/automark-the-definite-answer.101168/#post-1063442

HP Latex inks have always been compatible with a very wide range of both coated and un-coated media products, including polypropylene films. I will attempt to get a roll of the Avery Greenline media to test on current HP Latex printers.

Weird. I still have a roll of ij480 (non sv and non lx) version at work. It's really old so I don't use it much... Just on temp labels when people ask for non pvc. For the past few years we've been using it in our solvent printer and it printed fine. When we got our latex our 3M rep told us we needed to order the specil LX version because the regular version didn't work well in latex...maybe he just presumed we were using SV since we had a solvent. I was going to throw it away since we switched to latex... And actually bought a roll of lx480 to replace it.

I'll try printing on it once I'm back at work to see how it does!

We print on dozens of different materials though. And the 480 is the only material we've had to replace. Well... The 3290 doesn't work either. I did get it to print perfectly... But you could take a semi damp washcloth and just wipe the latex ink off so we switched to nikalite, works great.

We print on tons of stuff our solvent couldn't print on... Even non printable material. 3M 7725 prints good... Oracal 651... Not to mention all the traffic material. Even printing on overlaminate works much better than our solvent did.

BostjanP

Hi Guys,

I have tried few different settings and finally got the right one, so the print stays on the media.
The best settings were: 70% coverage, 12 passes and temperature 167 °F (where close to this setting is profile for HP Satin paper, you just have to reduce the temperature a little bit.

Best regards, Bostjan