• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help HP Latex 360 Roll Direction Error

In need of some help here. We have started experiencing a serious substrate walking issue. From initial loading of substrates we are good. During the print process, the substrate starts walking to the left, in some cases over 12 inches, including the core on the spindle. We cleaned the drive rollers, cleaned the encoding strip and tested the OMAS sensor, which is coming back ok. Has anyone ran into this issue or have another area i should be looking at?

i have tried running multiple substrates (8 mil poster, Avery 2105, 7mil Backlit and 18oz banner), with the same result.

Every time we load we are getting the roll direction not detected error, while the substrate is tight.

Possibly a bad sensor?

dypinc

In need of some help here. We have started experiencing a serious substrate walking issue. From initial loading of substrates we are good. During the print process, the substrate starts walking to the left, in some cases over 12 inches, including the core on the spindle. We cleaned the drive rollers, cleaned the encoding strip and tested the OMAS sensor, which is coming back ok. Has anyone ran into this issue or have another area i should be looking at?

Clean and roughen the locking pad on the spindle and clean the spindle area where it hits. If the doesn't stop the core on the spindle from walking to the left them you might need to replace the hubs or find a way to add something to the locking pads on the hubs.

Paul M

We did have a similar problem but not as severe as yours. When spooling on take up roll overnight would sometimes walk across a few inches and our problem went away when we checked how level the printer was and a couple of off cuts of 5mm pvc under the wheels on one end sorted our problem. Maybe worth a try.

Ere

Is the core spinning on the spindle? You should not be able to turn the roll without the spindle turning. If so stick some paper between them so they will not turn independently. I don’t completely understand your description. I have a Latex 115. Just trying to help.

Paul M

Clean and roughen the locking pad on the spindle and clean the spindle area where it hits. If the doesn't stop the core on the spindle from walking to the left them you might need to replace the hubs or find a way to add something to the locking pads on the hubs.
Yes we often had to put a bit of Blu tack to stop the hub on the spindle moving along like you mention, as the locking pad on these do seem quite poor and can be easily forced across by the media.

MMPLarge Format

I'll have problems like that occasionally but mainly when doing long runs and when i do long runs i keep clamps on hand and attach them to the grooves of the spindle very tightly so it keeps the roll from walking down the spindle. Hasn't failed me yet!

Thanks for the input. Put a metal pipe clamp on the spindle and got us operational to get a couple jobs out the door. Only doing short runs 15 ft or less. Kept the core from walking but still having the material walk from the drive roller. Running a long run of backlit today, 60+ feet and I back back to this ( see pics). I am thinking the "Roll direction Not Detected" error we have been getting is causing this.

Attachments

• IMG_0058.jpg
    IMG_0058.jpg
    304.5 KB · Views: 183
  • IMG_0059.jpg
    IMG_0059.jpg
    369.5 KB · Views: 210
  • IMG_0060.jpg
    IMG_0060.jpg
    540.5 KB · Views: 210
  • IMG_0061.jpg
    IMG_0061.jpg
    561.6 KB · Views: 221

Ian Stewart-Koster

Older Greyer Brushie
Roll direction not detected, happens to me if using banner material that you print on the underside of the roll, so feed it the other way from vinyl, and it feeds it back out and it spills forward for a bit, while sussing things out.
But put a spirit level on the printer, and level it perfectly.