• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

HP Latex 570 vs Roland EJ

visiongraphics

I'm am running an EJ now (only in high speed) and it has been by far the best Roland I have purchased. I am debating the switch to latex and am wondering if the HP 570 might be a better choice. I am familiar with some of the basic advantages on latex but would love to hear from some people who are running HP's or have any specific industry knowledge on the 570. From my initial research it seemed the 360 model and the EJ were pretty neck and neck when it came to speed and ink cost. Please keep in mind I am looking to compare an EJ printing in high speed mode -vs- a 570 in a comparable speed mode.

Please let me know your thoughts on the HP Latex 570 print speed, ink / consumables cost and other improvements over the previous model? Is it time to move to latex?

rjssigns

This should be interesting. You're the only person on this forum with the new EJ-640. Information on the EJ from end users has been non-existent on Signs 101.

Christian @ 2CT Media

I can't compare to a solvent since I've only had latex since 2010, but on our 360 we print in 4 pass, 4c a lot and we average 335sqft/hr (with no ink changes). The prints look good for what they are.

Where the 570 will shine is the new take up system which will allow for better roll up and bulk inks.

visiongraphics

I can't compare to a solvent since I've only had latex since 2010, but on our 360 we print in 4 pass, 4c a lot and we average 335sqft/hr (with no ink changes). The prints look good for what they are.

Where the 570 will shine is the new take up system which will allow for better roll up and bulk inks.

Would 4 pass be considered the equivalent to high speed type printing?

This should be interesting. You're the only person on this forum with the new EJ-640. Information on the EJ from end users has been non-existent on Signs 101.
I also have the EJ640. Honestly. It kicks A**. Roland definitely got their act together on the new take up and feed reel system. I can run a whole 150ft roll of material and it doesn't track off on the take up at ALL. So far, I love it. I don't know why you would want to move away from your brand new Ej 640 visiongraphics.. Is there a reason you are thinking of doing so? I am blown away by even billboard mode on the EJ.. The machine is a tank too. Robust in every imaginable way. Inks are awesome. I can hit colors sooooooo much better on this machine than my XC540 with the ecosolmax inks and these inks are DEFINITELY more scratch resistant than the regular Ecosolmax inks as well. Drying times are MUCH faster also. Of course the included blower dryer and extended heater helps with that also>Thus far I am very happy with my purchase on the EJ... Now my new Summa S2 cutter... Thats another story. I am not impressed at all.... I am trying to get the dealer to take it back... My built in Roland cutter on my XC540 does a better job on most things.

kffernandez

Now my new Summa S2 cutter... Thats another story. I am not impressed at all.... I am trying to get the dealer to take it back... My built in Roland cutter on my XC540 does a better job on most things.

hi!

i just recently bought the Summa S2 T140. it was supposed to partner with my HP latex 310 and roland SC-540 for print and cuts. but i have been getting consistently unprecise cuts at the middle parts [w/ or w/o oposXY. i don't want to steal this thread, but if you are experiencing a similar problem. i would really appreciate it if you could pm me, and we could discuss it in private.

i am the first customer of the local summa distributor, and i do not understand why Summa Belgium chose not to train them on how to troubleshoot the machines. they just basically gave them a few days worth of user-style training. :(

kelly

ericm

I personally don't know a lot about the new Roland printers ( I did own one a few years ago and really disliked it) I do have 2 customers with the EJ 640 and they have me doing their printing for certain jobs! them running at high-speed is slower then the HP 370 at 10past hp has better quality. I will try to get a sample of them printing on their machine compared to us printing on latex . A lot of it comes down to knowing how to calibrate and fine-tuning their machines personally if I was going to buy a solvent printer it would be the new Epson Less dry time then a Roland or Mimaki or other solvent printers "time is money"

chester215

Just call me Chester.
hi!

i just recently bought the Summa S2 T140. it was supposed to partner with my HP latex 310 and roland SC-540 for print and cuts. but i have been getting consistently unprecise cuts at the middle parts [w/ or w/o oposXY. i don't want to steal this thread, but if you are experiencing a similar problem. i would really appreciate it if you could pm me, and we could discuss it in private.

kelly

Not sure you can blame this on the Summa.

I have a latex printer & summa cutter with the same problem. In my case it is the material warping closer to the middle, it varies depending on the material and is a known issue with latex printers. There is even a setting on my printer that I can change to compensate for the material bowing.

CanuckSigns

I personally don't know a lot about the new Roland printers ( I did own one a few years ago and really disliked it) I do have 2 customers with the EJ 640 and they have me doing their printing for certain jobs! them running at high-speed is slower then the HP 370 at 10past hp has better quality. I will try to get a sample of them printing on their machine compared to us printing on latex . A lot of it comes down to knowing how to calibrate and fine-tuning their machines personally if I was going to buy a solvent printer it would be the new Epson Less dry time then a Roland or Mimaki or other solvent printers "time is money"

I don't know how this is possible, the EJ at high speed vinyl is 30 sq/m per hour, and the HP at 10 pass is 14 sq/m per hour, so you can't say the HP is faster. As far as quality goes, I can't speak to that but I'm sure that running at the same pass count would wield similar results.

ericm

I don't know how this is possible, the EJ at high speed vinyl is 30 sq/m per hour, and the HP at 10 pass is 14 sq/m per hour, so you can't say the HP is faster. As far as quality goes, I can't speak to that but I'm sure that running at the same pass count would wield similar results.

I don't know what to tell you we were on a conference call as we were doing prints simultaneously I finished before he did!!!!! and his customer liked the print from latex better than solvent both prints unlaminated. we're getting ready to do some testing with the 570 so we'll see how that stacks up

i tell him all the time "printers are not plug n play " he goes through printers left and right his poor sales rep......lol

Dennis422

hi!

i am the first customer of the local summa distributor, and i do not understand why Summa Belgium chose not to train them on how to troubleshoot the machines. they just basically gave them a few days worth of user-style training. :(

kelly
It is how the latex prints.
You have to compensate for the warp caused by the heat. Simple adjustment on you printer.
Mine is set at -.7 and that takes care of the issue. Each printer will have different setting, depending on a lot of variables, but usually the setting will always be in the - (Minus).

Good luck

TomK

It is how the latex prints.
You have to compensate for the warp caused by the heat. Simple adjustment on you printer.
Mine is set at -.7 and that takes care of the issue. Each printer will have different setting, depending on a lot of variables, but usually the setting will always be in the - (Minus).

Good luck

Dennis, what setting is this on the hp? Is it a system wide setting or profile setting per material?

Thanks!

My issue is i do a lot of motocross and snowmobile wraps. Most all are 10 mil laminate. I was told this would do it with ease since it has a much higher downforce than the cutter in my XC540.. Not only will it not cut through, it doesn't even have enough vacuum to hold the material flat to the surface.. Now they want me to spend 900 dollars on 3 more pinch rollers to help with the hold down problem... My little sign warehouse brand cutter I have sitting in the corner that I bought 10 years ago has 10 times the vacuum power than this high dollar Summa does...
I am not impressed, nor am thrilled with the insane screwing they put to people on replacement and add on parts such as the pinch rollers. Which I might add are ALL freaked PLASTIC. Really??? $320.00 dollars for a piece of plastic, rubber and a small bearing? Come on. Graphtecs are like 40 bucks a piece. At this point I am very regretful in my purchase, and to think I could have also saved a few grand and bought the new laminator I now need....

hi!

kelly

Kelly, kind of funny (well not really) but my dealer has only sold 2 Summas! He normally sells graphtec but after reading on here about how displeased people were with the graphtecs I was scared to get one.. I also find it kind of troubling that I always have to wait for someone to call me back from Summa... Sometimes its a day later..
Another issue i have is with the motocross and snowmobile vinyl and laminate which is a combined 14mil, the optic eye won't read the crop marks.. I have to cut out each crop mark with a knife very carefully first.. I tried the tape thing. No dice. So much for all the problems that were just tied to graphtec...

I don't know what to tell you we were on a conference call as we were doing prints simultaneously I finished before he did!!!!! and his customer liked the print from latex better than solvent both prints unlaminated. we're getting ready to do some testing with the 570 so we'll see how that stacks up

i tell him all the time "printers are not plug n play " he goes through printers left and right his poor sales rep......lol

Out of curiosity how much is the new HP 570??

Duc

Please help me for my small business of sign writing. I am in between hp latex 335 and Roland RF640.
I don't know which one to choose to suit with my current business. Not really much printing.... Just use graphic vinyl the most. Thinking buying 1 to keep the business moves better.
Many thanks for advise.
Chau

ProColorGraphics

Please help me for my small business of sign writing. I am in between hp latex 335 and Roland RF640.
I don't know which one to choose to suit with my current business. Not really much printing.... Just use graphic vinyl the most. Thinking buying 1 to keep the business moves better.
Many thanks for advise.
Chau

You would be better off starting a new thread for this request.