• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Humidifier?

tylercrum

Hope I'm putting this in the right area. We need to better control the humidity levels in our shop for our uv printer (which is why I chose the 'flatbed printer' area for this post). We have a dehumidifier for when the humidity gets too high but then we have days like today where it's dipping below the levels we really want to keep it at, so my question is...drumroll please....what's everyone using for adding humidity to their print environments? (I know how to google it, and I know what the generic options are, but I'm curious if there's a general "use this particular machine" type of response here or if everyone's doing something different.) Thanks in advance folks!

klmiller611

We just use a large size humidifier that has two several gallon tanks, parked right next to the printer. In our case, it is usually necessary in the driest of winter days. Just a standard grade humidifier, but the large tanks allow for ease of refilling. I have a humidifer in my HVAC at home, but they tend to be more problematic if you have any kind of minerals in the water system. Mine has not been working for several years.

Ken Miller

gmarshall

I am experiencing this right now as our new hybrid is being installed. 31% humidity and trying to get it to 40%. Does hosing the floor really help? I love the idea of it also keeping the dust down.

Thanks

netsol

humidifier a must

in most parts of the country, where this is heating season, a humidifier is a must. besides the printing issues with high static materials, there is the danger of main board failure.

when you walk across a carpet and get a static shock touching things, you have the potential of destroying your mainboard. this is what causes most of the usb failures we see. if it is on the computer side, you install a new usb card. ($20)

if it is the printer/cutter side, perhaps $1200.

we are working on some recommendations for how to protect equipment from static as well as electrical surges/power failure (setting up my shop now) i will post them here in the next few weeks.

a cheap humidifier from walmart can save your printer/plotter and other expensive equipment and avoid expensive repair

Yes it does really help. You can boost the humidity by 10% in a couple of minutes. And you'll want closer to a consistent 50% to keep your flatbed happy!

We hose down any open floor that's available then use a wide push mop thing to spread it out throughout the shop. Eliminates dust, picks up any scraps all over the place and adds moisture to the air.

rjssigns

The lab at school has overhead misters that work OK. Don't want to stand too close or you'll get damp. They'd work much better with 12 to 14 foot tall ceilings.
During the winter months a huge industrial humidifier is used in conjunction with the misting system.
Once I get back in there I'll get a brand name.
You can also get a steam humidification system, but those will eat you alive with electrical costs.

D3D

I tried a cool mist humidifier a few years ago, it left a white residue on the surface of everything. This seems to be using a similar process (no wick, you can see the vapor) do you have any problems with it leaving residue?

JJGraphics

I have the Mini Mister in my shop and it maintains between 55 - 65% humidity even in dead of winter.
Industrial Humidification- Commercial Humidifier - Humidity Control Systems

I have 2 mini misters in my shop and LOVE them! It’s extremely important to run your water through a reverse osmosis system BEFORE you pipe it to the mini misters. They sell a 100gallon per day Reverse Osmosis system that is adequate.

If you don’t, you’ll get white residue all over everything in your shop.

LFC911

Humidity in KS was running about 10% during the winter and we had issues as everyone else does with static and overspray due to the ambient environmental conditions. Our demo room is about 2300 square feet with 15' ceilings and we added a Aprilaire 800 series steam humidifier, which cured that problem. If anyone is looking for an industrial solution from their local HVAC guy i would highly recommend it (see attached)

Attachments

• IMG_1852.JPG
    IMG_1852.JPG
    379.5 KB · Views: 248