Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I don't consider myself a designer anymore but do it sometimes

Discussion in 'Portfolio Board' started by ColoPrinthead, Aug 21, 2012.

1. ColoPrinthead

ColoPrinthead Swollen Member

Dec 17, 2009
    Donkeytown, Colorado
    One of our warehouse guys wanted to get a banner for his softball team and my boss okay'd it handed it off to me. First and most painful question is always "Do you have art" and as usual I was given low res clip art taken from the web. I talked to the guy and learned about the team and how ti was started by the current players parents and decided to do them a favor and design the main graphics myself. The design is not perfect and could be much better but, I put only the amount of work need for the demographic I was dealing with since I wasn't getting paid. I didn't spend a lot of time worrying about fonts, I didn't worry about tangents, and I copied the mesh work rather than making several unique shapes of the flames. I have about a total of 8 hours into the work with revisions and recreating someones else's work on the left (I did add the stitching). I think this could have been done in 4-5 hours if I had more RAM in my laptop. My placement looks a bit high but it could just be the sag of the banner.

The background is a picture of clouds with a gaussian blur to hide the low res image, and the wood texture is from Von Glitschka's Crumble, Crackle, Burn, Peel free texture set, his website is worth a visit

The coworker said the banner was popular at the game and that people kept interrupting his team for photos of it. The team took second at the tourney.

I have about 2 or 3 years before I design again unless something intriguing comes up.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Tags:
  2. TheSnowman

TheSnowman Major Contributor

Aug 28, 2007
    Indiana
    So the team is apparently a bunch of raging alcoholics? Cool to see the sketches go to full color.

3. showcase 66

showcase 66 Very Active Member

Sep 23, 2010
    I thought that was the main part of playing softball. I didn't realize you could play without drinking. They go so well together I thought that how it was played.

Looks good.

4. ColoPrinthead

ColoPrinthead Swollen Member

Dec 17, 2009
    Donkeytown, Colorado
    Yes, they are the party team of their league.