• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

I don't know

Mikeifg

Have a customer I've been sending box truck wrap designs to. They have had other designs from various companies as well but nothing has hit the mark. Then I get an email that says they are looking for a way to translate their slogan " If we make our customers successful, We will be successful." into something visual they want people to see more than a name, find a way to visually show people their commitment to their success. I'm drawing a blank and I'm not sure if anything will satisfy this customer. any ideas. Even putting pictures of their products hasn't been what they want.

Jillbeans

No deposit/no design.
Deposit/lots of changes/charge more.
Maybe a faux superhero with their name on his chest?
Love....Jill

Marlene

sounds like they are looking more for an ad campaign or marketing image then a design for a truck. can you do this? if so, charge them for this kind of work as it goes beyond just making a truck look nice.

Mikeifg

Thats what i'm thinking. The thing is they want me to do the work because they like my work but man they are the most difficult as far as figuring out what they want. And when they finally gave me an idea it does sound like an ad campaign. I mean what they sell is something the general public wont care about. They are a business to business company. So the ad or wrap will only be intended to reach a small target.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Tell them, they need to get serious.

If they want to pursue this path, you need an up-front retainer of $800.00 to work on their project..... and their project alone. They can trust you will eventually come up with what they want, but since they are being sketchy, it might take some time. The first $800 represents 6 hours of your time regardless of how they use it, be it phone calls, visits, internet services.... or just your designing time. When that time is eaten up with their nonsense, a second $800 retainer will be expected to proceed.

This retainer and dialog will make them become extre,yl more clear in what they want, thus making your job easier.

However, the only part that is refundable is, once the creation is finalized, whatever is left from that block of 6 hours.... or it can go towards the making of the signs, wraps or whatever.

This is called a nice way to sh!t or get off the pot. :noway:

rjssigns

"Gee, it just isn't hitting the mark". 2 months later you will see YOUR work on their van done by your competitor.

ThinkRight

Just hire Dan or Joe and make them a marketing plan , brand image and send them a bill.
If they don't know what they want, have the pro's tell them what they need.

TammieH

I believe this is one of those jobs that could (most likely will) potentially be a nightmare for you. They are not sure exactly what they want, they just know they want something. Be prepared to spend a lot of design time

CanuckSigns

Wait, you are designing something for free for them knowing full well that they are also getting other free designs from other companies? No deposit, no design.

Gino has the best advice in this thread, follow it.

Mikeifg

No deposit/no design.
Deposit/lots of changes/charge more.
Maybe a faux superhero with their name on his chest?
Love....Jill

Funny thing you said that about the superhero, They wanted something like that years ago and never pulled the trigger. I had hand drawn one put it in photoshop/ illi and just like now they cant decide.

Jillbeans

Maybe get that out and dust it off.
Just recently I did a design for someone who was about as vague and vapid as they get.
Sent three quickie samples of what she seemed to want.
She almost but not quite liked one of them.
I kept it and sent her two more as well.
She was nearly orgasmic over the one she had almost liked but initially rejected.
I even told her it was the same icon.
I wouldn't tell your client and see what happens if you rehash the old leftovers.

vinylink0331

Tell Them What They Want

Come up with one more idea. Say my professional opinion is you need X,Y, and Z to promote this type of business. Explain to them that they will be advertising to a specific market and they need to limit their wordage as much as possible. Say this is what you need, lets move forward and get it done. If they still hesitate tell them you will have to start charging them a design fee by the hour. The quicker they make a decision, the cheaper it will be. That will make them want to move a lot faster. If they don't want to do that, then move on. They are not serious anyways.