• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

I hate GoDaddy

Locals Find!

I officially hate GoDaddy and its parent company Wild West Domains.

I recently got my accounts transferred from a GoDaddy reseller that went out of business to another GoDaddy reseller. This was done without my permission just get an email saying I been transferred.

Now because of the contract with GoDaddy and this new company handling my domains & hosting. I am not allowed to sell my domains.

I am restricted to selling my property unless I pay to Transfer everything to the real GoDaddy.com and have to reset all my hosting.

They can't figure out how to make it simple for me. Its all run by the same company and the same people on the same servers. Yet, I gotta go through this hassle just to sell a domain. I wanna beat whoever came up with this plan over the head with something. Even the customer service reps can't make sense of it.

-End Rant

TyrantDesigner

Art! Hot and fresh.
That is the problem ... it's not a godaddy domain .. it is a reseller domain handled THROUGH godaddy. ... technically it's not even yours, it's your resellers.

Locals Find!

I honestly have had no problems till today. It just boggles me they can't press a few buttons and change the logos on my account.

I mean when I go on to control my domains and my hosting it all looks just like godaddy except with a different logo.

briankb

Premium Subscriber
As far as I know if you registered the domain and are the Registered owner you can transfer it as needed. EXCEPT, and this isn't only for GoDaddy, is you have to wait 60 days once you do a transfer. That exception started years ago to help "safeguard" domain hijacking.

If you need to sell a domain I would draft a contract that simply says you will process the transfer as soon as the domain lock is released. You can always point the domain wherever you need.

TyrantDesigner

Art! Hot and fresh.
They may have to migrate your account in order to get it to the godaddy side ... which is more than just switching a logo. Generally it involves exporting your old data off of one server and moving it to another and re-integrating all the details hoping there isn't version conflicts from their reseller servers to their actual servers. I hated doing that just for peoples blog based sites let alone forums and the such ... god I am glad I don't do web programming anymore.

CheapVehicleWrap

WOW, that's BS. If you have more than 250 domains, I'd transfer them to fabulous.com whom I've used for 15 years. The ONLY registrar I trust.

tcorn1965

We use the wild wild west reseller from Go-Daddy...IT sucks. We created a website so people could buy a domain, build their website and add a store without any intervention from us. Did all this through our API on wildwest. Well, doing great but we cannot renew domains via a phone call to wild west, they say we have to program that in our API.
So we lost a couple domains until we got that built in. I cannot believe wild west does not have the ability to renew these on their end.

Terry

oldgoatroper

Roper of Goats. Old ones.
Not quite sure if this is the case with the original poster, but a lesson I learned long ago is:

... never, NEVER allow a hoster to register your domains for you. Always, ALWAYS register your domains with a registrar separate from your hosting service.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
We transferred two of our domains from other registrars we were having problems with to GoDaddy and have never regretted the change. The one that was at Network Solutions imposed a 60 day lock on it but that caused me no problem. the cost to do the transfer was less than a domain renewal for a year and GoDaddy gave me an extra year just for transferring to them.

What impressed me with GoDaddy was the tech support reps. English was their first language, they were knowledgeable and they were helpful.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
Not quite sure if this is the case with the original poster, but a lesson I learned long ago is:

... never, NEVER allow a hoster to register your domains for you. Always, ALWAYS register your domains with a registrar separate from your hosting service.

:goodpost: :goodpost: :goodpost: :thumb: :thankyou: :signs101:

Locals Find!

I registered my domains years ago with the now out of business reseller. Added the hosting onto the account later as I needed it. Figured hey its all in one spot easier to manage and keep track of. One bill once a year on one credit card for everything.

Big mistake on my part apparently.

Techman

I been with network solutions for years. I used to really like the deal.
Lately I was involved with a renewal and saw the price went up. No way at that price.
Later, I started to do the move away routine and suddenly they decided to call and give me the VIP account status with a %25 discount on all the packages.

Today, I called about another package. After jumping through many hoops, and listening to spam and other foreplay I finally got a human and promptly was told there was no such account. After spelling it for him several times he found it.

After talking to him about the account suddenly he started talking about another package. I tried to veer him back to the original and he ignored it. After several times of prompting him he got argumentative and insisted on talking about the wrong account. It was living in the twilight zone. I swear the guy was schizophrenic.

In the end I called back and got a live sane human who resolved the call plus gave me a direct phone number and a free year of hosting to make up for the insane operator. Yes, they record phone calls.

TyrantDesigner

Art! Hot and fresh.

+1 to that ... finally got one of my domains back after 8 years of waiting for an old crappy host to stop paying for it. Grabbed it again and never looked back.

TresL

I have 15-20 domains on Godaddy and have only called with some issues a few times.

Each time I had someone on the phone with in a few minutes that was State Side and took care of the issues quickly.

Kentucky Wraps

Kentucky Wraps
I honestly have had no problems till today. It just boggles me they can't press a few buttons and change the logos on my account.

I mean when I go on to control my domains and my hosting it all looks just like godaddy except with a different logo.

I take it you aren't a web designer. That statement above is HATED by web designer. That's like my customers saying, why can't you just push a few buttons and make my logo with a differnt name? Well...because there are gradient blends, drop shadows, contours, transparencies, and oh yeah, the logo is not an active FONT it's been converted to curves! There are parameters in a website that often don't just allow you to "push a few buttons" to change something like a logo, which is either probably in the header (a world in it's own) or on every page somewhere in different sizes etc.
To make a short answer long. You can't just push a few buttons to do it.

veloxgraphics

I hate godaddy hosting as well. Their domain registration and hosted DNS is great... but their hosting is garbage. I've tried (not joking) somewhere around 30 different hosts. Inmotion has been the best so far, but even they cant seem to hang onto their promised 99.9% uptime.

I've got a nice server prepped for a co-location datacenter. Time to start hosting my own!